Charles Oliveira was ‘robbed’ during weigh-in controversy — and wants his title back at UFC 280

Charles Oliveira (33-8, 30 finishes) is ready to face Islam Makhachev (22-1, 14 finishes) within the UFC 280 fundamental occasion Saturday in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates with the chance to regain the light-weight championship he misplaced as a consequence of lacking weight forward of his final title protection in Might. The Brazilian, universally thought to be the No. 1 fighter at 155 kilos, lately spoke through Zoom, by means of an interpreter, with The Submit’s Scott Fontana for this week’s Submit Battle Interview.

Q: Lots of the most important names in your division are both cheering so that you can win or choosing you to win towards Islam. Does that imply something to you to have the respect of your friends like that?
A: I’m actually pleased and, truthfully, grateful to see everybody supporting me. I labored actually laborious to earn this respect and to earn the place I’m [in] proper now. So I’m actually grateful for that.

Q: You’re the UFC submission wins chief and also you’ve these days been knocking out prime 155ers. The place do you see your self having the extra pronounced benefit over him: standing or on the bottom?
A: Once I received into the UFC, I used to be a jiu-jitsu athlete. Now, I’m a martial artist. I’m properly rounded, and wherever the struggle goes, I'll win. I've expertise in all areas.

Q: The UFC doesn’t acknowledge you because the official champion, however folks at giant understand that, as you’ve stated, “the champion has a reputation and that title is Charles Oliveira.” Do you've got any situation with the best way the UFC has dealt with the scenario after the load miss and all of the circumstances round it?
A: It’s behind us. Everybody is aware of what occurred. Everybody is aware of who the champion is. Everybody is aware of I received robbed, so it’s prior to now.

Charles Oliveira works out ahead of UFC 280.
Charles Oliveira works out forward of UFC 280.
Zuffa LLC

Q: Fighters are at all times rehydrating after weigh-ins anyway and plenty of occasions are competing a number of kilos aside. Is there something you assume might be modified about how weigh-ins are performed in MMA?
A: Really, I feel it’s all correctly performed. It was only a downside with the dimensions. I don’t know what might be higher. I feel it’s rather well performed, and it was only one second; one thing that went unsuitable simply in that particular second.

Q: Do you intend on making any changes to the way you put together for weigh-ins this time?
A: Everyone seems to be asking me about that. I gained’t make any change. I’m doing it the identical approach, with the identical nutritionist. What folks have to know is that, once you truly don’t make weight, you've got that stress; you consider that. However I did make weight. I used to be robbed. So I’m gonna maintain doing the identical factor I did and make weight on [Friday] as I did the final time.

Q: You’ve put collectively a really spectacular profession resume, particularly late in your profession because the champion. What are a few of your remaining profession objectives?
A: I need to maintain constructing my legacy, being the champion and exhibiting that anybody like me can do the identical. I simply need to maintain constructing my legacy and breaking data.

Q: Do you've got a favourite submission victory out of your profession?
A: It’s laborious to inform. I imagine that every struggle had one thing significant about it. Whether or not it was an damage or one thing particular, one thing totally different. So it’s laborious to inform. I really feel like all my fights should be revered as such.

Charles Oliveira (right) in his fight against Justin Gaethje at UFC 274.
Charles Oliveira (proper) in his struggle towards Justin Gaethje at UFC 274.
Getty Photos

Q: Do you recall your first expertise watching MMA?
A: I’m undecided, however I've a reminiscence of watching MMA in [my hometown of] Guarujá. I’ve at all times been a dreamer, let’s say, and once I noticed it, I stated I might be there at some point. And it was the UFC, and everybody thought it wouldn’t occur.

Q: Typical walkaround weight between fights?
A: It’s round 83-84 kilos [183-185 pounds]. 

Q: Typical weight on struggle evening?
A: I can’t say but. I don’t know.

Q: Favourite post-weight reduce meal?
A: Really, I simply attempt to get well and eat properly. It’s extra about that. However I simply attempt to maintain that stability of consuming properly and getting ready for the struggle. Possibly it’s some pasta or mashed potatoes or no matter, however the focus is on recovering rather well.

Q: Who in MMA do you most admire?
A: It’s laborious to inform. I don’t like to select names as a result of, typically, I neglect somebody. Total, I actually admire even the outdated era right here in Brazil, but in addition those which might be coming proper now and placing on nice performances.

Q: What’s the good approach in fight sports activities?
A: Calf slicer.

Q: Favourite film?
A: “The Ghost within the Darkness”

Q: Favourite out of doors exercise?
A: I wish to race with my horses.

Q: Favourite online game?
A: I don’t play.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post