Jets’ Duane Brown lives up to his vow: ‘I’m not going out like this’

“I’m not going out like this.’’

These had been Duane Brown’s phrases to Jets head coach Robert Saleh and offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur when he suffered a shoulder harm in coaching camp and it seemed like he might need to have surgical procedure and shut himself down for the season.

The 37-year-old Brown was signed to a two-year, $20 million contract this summer season after offensive deal with Mekhi Becton was misplaced for the yr to a knee harm. Brown was a 15-year veteran who’d performed in 203 NFL video games for Houston and Seattle and was thought of a doable savior at left deal with, which had change into a multitude for the Jets.

After which, with a brand new crew, it seemed like he won't play a down.

“He’s performed on this league since 2008, his story is written if he wished it to be,’’ LaFleur gushed about Brown on Thursday. “Each constructing he’s gone into he’s been revered. He simply might have walked out of right here and nobody would have batted an eye fixed when it comes to the respect we had for him due to what he’s achieved. He might have walked away. His contract is absolutely assured.

“For him to say, ‘I’m not going out like this’ — that’s the precise phrases he used — I had respect for him [before] and I’ve gotten to know him over the previous 5 - 6 weeks and the way in which I really feel about him, he's the last word skilled. He’ll do no matter it takes. He was not strolling out of right here with out taking part in this recreation.’’

Brown performed his first recreation as a Jet final Sunday towards the Dolphins and he’ll play his second Sunday towards the Packers at Lambeau Discipline.

Duane Brown
Duane Brown
Invoice Kostroun

In a quiet second amid the thrill contained in the successful locker room after the Miami recreation, Brown instructed The Put up, “I satisfaction myself on being accessible and having the ability to play, so being on the sideline for 4 weeks was not superb. With the ability to get again for this one meant quite a bit to me.’’

It meant quite a bit to his coaches and teammates, too.

“I used to be shocked, to be sincere with you, that he battled by it and stayed,’’ Jets heart Connor McGovern instructed The Put up on Thursday. “I used to be like, ‘Man, this man has performed for 15 years and achieved what he has’ … you don’t anticipate that. I’m glad he did it.’’

So, too, is quarterback Zach Wilson.

“A lot respect for him,’’ Wilson mentioned Thursday. “I attempt to let him understand how cool it's that he’s doing that for us and what he’s sacrificing and I’m positive the ache he’s in. He’s such a cool dude. The power and keenness he brings to the locker room rubs off on the fellows once they see somebody like that keen to surrender their arm for us.’’

Alijah Vera-Tucker, who’s taken over at proper deal with with Brown at left, spoke of what Brown’s selflessness means to the road.

“DB has achieved quite a bit in his profession and he might have determined he didn’t should be out right here,’’ Vera-Tucker instructed The Put up. “He might have had the surgical procedure, but it surely appeared like he knew we would have liked him.’’

Brown, in an interview with The Put up on Thursday, shrugged off the reward he’s gotten from his coaches and teammates and easily mentioned, “That’s simply a part of my make-up, man.’’

Jets offensive lineman Duane Brown does a drill during a September practice.
Jets offensive lineman Duane Brown does a drill throughout a September follow.
Invoice Kostroun

“I like this recreation a lot,’’ Brown mentioned. “I’ve by no means missed a complete season. To not contribute in any respect is just not who I'm.’’

Brown laughed after we talked about his age, saying, “I’m historic in NFL years.’’

He referred to as the shoulder harm and its timing “very tough.’’

“As a veteran, you come to a brand new crew, you’re anticipated to contribute at a excessive degree and likewise attempt to combine your self into the locker room,’’ he mentioned. “Additionally, not going although OTAs and coaching camp, you’re attempting to sharpen up your method as shortly as doable. All of that obtained lower quick fairly shortly with the harm.’’

What retains him going at his age and 16 years into his NFL profession?

“I nonetheless really feel like I can play at a excessive degree,’’ Brown mentioned. “Soccer’s been part of my life for 30 years now. It’s simply a part of my make-up. I’m all the time attempting to show myself, all the time attempting to show that I can nonetheless do that at a excessive degree.’’

Has he thought of life after soccer?

“Nothing will be capable to exchange this setting — the locker room and Sundays,’’ Brown mentioned. “I’m not attempting to hold on to this simply to maintain taking part in. I nonetheless really consider I can play at a excessive degree. I’m having fun with the journey, man. At any time when I do determine to hold it up, I’ll have peace with it.’’

The Jets are simply grateful that point didn’t come this previous summer season.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post