Rangers’ Sammy Blais set for long-awaited injury return vs. Ducks

300-thirty-seven days and one false begin later, Sammy Blais will return to the ice on Monday for his first official recreation since sustaining a season-ending knee harm on that hit by P.Ok. Subban on the Backyard final Nov. 14.

The 26-year-old winger had been projected for a spot within the opening night time lineup however an upper-body harm he sustained within the ultimate exhibition recreation on the Island necessitated hitting the pause button.

“I’m not going to deceive you, that was a tricky week for me sitting out after I’d labored so laborious to be prepared,” mentioned Blais, who's slated to make his 2022-23 debut in opposition to the Geese. “However on the identical time, I knew it was only a bump within the street. I wasn’t going to permit that to discourage me.

“I knew I wanted to remain optimistic and that it was not going to be lengthy. So I centered on what I wanted to do. I’m very enthusiastic about this, now. I’m trying ahead to it.”

Blais is stepping in for Ryan Carpenter, who suffered a gash behind his left ear when sliced by a skate halfway by the second interval of Friday’s 4-1 defeat in Winnipeg. The middle, who didn't follow on Sunday, could also be prepared for Thursday’s match in opposition to the Sharks.

Barclay Goodrow is shifting from the left facet of the third line to play in the midst of the fourth line between Dryden Hunt and Ryan Reaves. Blais will play the fitting on the third line with Filip Chytil and Jimmy Vesey. Blais has some familiarity with Chytil after having performed on his line in 9 of his 14 video games final season.

“Fil and I do know one another. My job is create area for him and Jimmy, get in on the forecheck and supply power for our line and the crew,” Blais mentioned. “I’m not fearful about timing or something like that. I’m simply going to go on the market and play my recreation.”

Rangers forward Sammy Blais (91) during a preseason game against the Devils on Sept. 29, 2022.
Rangers ahead Sammy Blais (91) throughout a preseason recreation in opposition to the Devils on Sept. 29, 2022.
Jason Szenes

Head coach Gerard Gallant might empathize with Blais’ plight following the preseason harm that got here on a first-period hit from Alexander Romanov. However he was not going to hurry the winger’s return.

“It was robust. He needs to play,” Gallant mentioned. “However as coaches we talked to him and mentioned, ‘Sammy, we’re not going to place you in in the event you’re not able to play. The very last thing we wish is so that you can have one other setback.’

“This was a minor setback, however I perceive, it’s been 10 months and he actually needs to play. I didn’t need to put him on the market too quickly. He’s able to go now. He’s feeling good and robust. You make these robust choices as a result of as gamers, you all the time need to play.”

Rangers winger Sammy Blais is checked by the Islanders' Alexander Romanov in the first period of a preseason game on Oct. 8, 2022.
Rangers winger Sammy Blais is checked by the Islanders’ Alexander Romanov within the first interval of a preseason recreation on Oct. 8, 2022.
Getty Pictures

Vitali Kravtsov, who sustained an upper-body harm 7:01 into the opener after taking a success from Victor Hedman that has sidelined him within the interim, skated in a non-contact gold jersey at follow. He could possibly be prepared for Thursday’s match in opposition to the Sharks however there is probably not an open lineup spot for No. 74.

Zac Jones, scratched in favor of Libor Hajek on Friday, labored on the second power-play unit. That is a sign No. 6 could return to the lineup.

Requested about Hajek’s work in 13:45 of ice time by which he and associate Braden Schneider weren't on for a purpose both means, Gallant mentioned: “Like the remainder of us: Simply truthful.

“I’m not declaring Libor. I’m declaring 20. I’m saying it was 20 guys, so I’m not dissatisfied in Libor any greater than I’m dissatisfied in anyone else.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post