William Shatner explains why his trip to space ‘felt like a funeral’: ‘I saw death and I saw life’

William Shatner made historical past when he turned the oldest particular person to journey to house – however the expertise left him in tears.

In October 2021, the “Star Trek” alum launched into the journey of a lifetime with the assistance of Jeff Bezos’ aerospace firm Blue Origin. The Amazon empire founder credited the actor with igniting his curiosity in house journey.

The 91-year-old was one among 4 crew members aboard the New Shepard rocket for the NS-18 mission. It took off from Launch Web site One in West Texas. The Emmy winner recalled his expertise in a brand new e book titled “Boldly Go: Reflections on a lifetime of Awe and Surprise.” In it, Shatner wrote that his journey to house “was imagined to be a celebration.” As a substitute, it “felt like a funeral.”

“Once I landed and got here out of the spaceship, I used to be overwhelmed by a sense and I began to weep,” Shatner recalled to Fox Information Digital. “I didn’t know what I used to be crying about. And it took me a few hours to be on my own to determine what’s the matter with me. After which I spotted I used to be in grief for this lovely world that I may see extra clearly from up in house… This planet that took 5 billion years to evolve into what it's now. And all of the multitude of issues that we human beings can love and pay attention to which might be so lovely. By no means thoughts the elephants and the nice predators and all that stuff… however the stuff in the present day. The kid, your fingers. I imply, the whole lot abounds that could be a miracle and is gorgeous – and we’re destroying it.”

Shatner is now the oldest person to travel to space.
William Shatner mentioned his journey to house made him see “life and dying.”
AFP by way of Getty Pictures

“Once I landed and got here out of the spaceship, I used to be overwhelmed by a sense and I began to weep,” Shatner recalled to Fox Information Digital. “I didn’t know what I used to be crying about. And it took me a few hours to be on my own to determine what’s the matter with me. After which I spotted I used to be in grief for this lovely world that I may see extra clearly from up in house… This planet that took 5 billion years to evolve into what it's now. And all of the multitude of issues that we human beings can love and pay attention to which might be so lovely. By no means thoughts the elephants and the nice predators and all that stuff… however the stuff in the present day. The kid, your fingers. I imply, the whole lot abounds that could be a miracle and is gorgeous – and we’re destroying it.”

“… It’s black – it’s palpable black,” Shatner described his view from the nice past. “And after I was taking a look at the place we had been coming from and noticed the beige and the blue and the white of this extraordinary place we reside in, I noticed dying and I noticed life.”

Shatner has led a decades-long profession with hit exhibits, akin to “The Defenders,” “T.J. Hooker” and “Boston Authorized,” together with the unique “Star Trek” sequence and movies. Nevertheless, lately, Shatner just isn't enthusiastic about Hollywood. He mentioned that reflecting on his life and the various classes he discovered alongside the way in which helped him come to phrases with dying.

It took off from Launch Site One in West Texas.
The 91-year-old was one among 4 crew members aboard the New Shepard rocket.
Getty Pictures

“Effectively you realize, you possibly can write about all of it you need, and you can speak about it,” he defined. “And you will get recommendation from individuals who don’t know any extra about dying than you do as a result of no person is aware of something. And it nonetheless doesn’t matter if in case you have a perception system, which I envy… I see the vibrating connection of the universe of which we're part of. And it could appear prone to me… we're manufactured from stardust, and we return to stardust. 

“However the query that we are going to at all times ask is, what occurs to this factor? We're speaking about dying and anticipating dying. And I don’t know of another animal that may try this. Elephants mourn. They take the bones of [other] lifeless elephants. They know one thing. They know that there’s an idea of dying there, I believe. However I don’t suppose they ask, ‘The place does the soul go? The place does that life power go?’… After all, no person is aware of.”

“So the query is, the place does the life pressure go?” Shatner shared. “Some folks name it a soul, some folks name it no matter. The place does that power go? And possibly that’s what we’re speaking about by way of life after dying.”

He traveled on Jeff Bezos' Blue Origin space flights.
William Shatner made historical past when he turned the oldest particular person to journey to house.
AFP by way of Getty Pictures

Shatner famous that as he mirrored on dying, his appreciation for all times has solely grown, and every day is an opportunity for him to proceed pursuing his passions.

And the questions proceed to persist.

“It’s inconceivable for [this] to be the one world,” Shatner defined. “There are different clever entities on the market, in all probability since life is so ardent. There’s such ardour in life that… it’s in every single place… And the whole lot in life has a ardour to reside. So, you suppose that’s solely on this little rocky planet?”

“… I’ve been taking part in with this concept of how linked all of us are to the universe and, much more particularly, how deeply the connections to our world that we're,” he added.

In his e book, Shatner wrote that regardless of his overwhelming emotions of grief, his expertise touring to house gave him “hope to my coronary heart.”

“On this insignificance we share, we have now one reward that different species maybe don't: we're conscious — not solely of our insignificance, however the grandeur round us that makes us insignificant,” he wrote. “That permits us maybe an opportunity to rededicate ourselves to our planet, to one another, to life and love throughout us. If we seize that probability.”

The Related Press contributed to this report.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post