Arnold Allen is getting over UFC ‘frustration’ with first main event chance here

Arnold Allen (18-1, 10 finishes) will step into the octagon for the UFC Struggle Night time featherweight most important occasion on Saturday (7 p.m., ESPN+) at UFC Apex in Las Vegas when he takes on Calvin Kattar (23-6, 13 finishes). The Englishman, who trains out of Canada’s Tristar Fitness center, caught up with The Put up’s Scott Fontana through Zoom for this week’s Put up Struggle Interview.

Q: You debuted within the UFC at 21, and also you’re 28 now. Are you proud of the tempo of your build-up to get to this, your first UFC most important occasion?
A: For those who requested me a couple of years in the past, I might have mentioned no. However I’m fairly proud of the way it’s going on the minute and the place I’m in. I really feel all of it occurs for a cause, and it’s understanding. So, yeah, I’m proud of it.

Q: Have been you getting a bit stressed a couple of years in the past?
A: Earlier to the UFC, I believe there was a 12 months I had [four] fights. I prefer to battle. I prefer to be lively. However since [signing with] the UFC, it’s form of been one, possibly two, if I’m fortunate. It's irritating. However like I mentioned, all of it occurs for a cause, I assume.

Q: That is solely the second time in your UFC profession wherein you’ll compete twice in a 12 months. How do you are feeling about this being a extra lively 12 months than normal and incomes two paychecks this 12 months?
A: Yeah, positively. And it’s the chance I would like in opposition to the man I need to battle. He’s No. 5 within the [UFC rankings] for a cause, and I need to put myself in that elite caliber.

Arnold Allen (right) in his win over Dan Hooker on March 19, 2022.
Arnold Allen (proper) in his win over Dan Hooker on March 19, 2022.
PA Pictures through Getty Pictures

Q: How lengthy have you ever had your eye on Kattar specifically?
A: As soon as I obtained into rankings, I used to be across the rankings in the identical kind of spot. The one cause I requested for this battle was simply ’trigger he was above me. He was the one above me, and it was the one which made probably the most sense.

Q: Have you ever interacted with one another through the years? Is all the pieces OK between you two?
A: I by no means spoke to him personally. I don’t assume I’ve ever had an interplay with him. Nothing optimistic or unfavorable.

Q: Kattar is all the time in barnburner fights. What do you consider his type?
A: That was one of many causes I favored the battle. I like his type. He’s enjoyable to observe. He’s predominantly a stand-up fighter, extra of a boxer and form of much like myself. He makes use of extra elbows than I do. However that’s what I favored about it. Two stand-up guys, extra boxers, and kind of a conflict of kinds. It ought to make for an excellent battle.

Q: You’ve obtained Calvin Kattar in entrance of you, and he’s coming off that loss to Josh Emmett in a battle lots of people imagine he gained. Do you've gotten any ideas on who gained that battle?
A: I believed it was an in depth battle. However yeah, I did really feel like he gained it; Calvin gained it. I didn’t really feel prefer it was a theft. It was actual shut.

Q: You stopped Dan Hooker in half a spherical in March to arrange this battle in what was your greatest profession win and your first end in 4 years. Do you are feeling like your putting energy has improved now or is the knockout only a signal of what was already there?
A: It’s positively improved. Nevertheless it’s extra the kinds of the opponents I’ve been combating. All the pieces will get caught in a counter-wrestler kind of factor, making an attempt to keep away from getting taken down, can’t let my fingers go as a lot. Once you get somebody you understand is gonna stand with you and probably not trying to wrestle you, it’s a bit nicer.

Arnold Allen celebrates his win over Dan Hooker
Arnold Allen celebrates his win over Dan Hooker
Getty Pictures

Q: What’s the best problem Kattar presents to you within the cage?
A: Most likely his expertise. He’s a veteran. He’s obtained extra five-rounders than me. He’s been in there greater than me. He’s fought elite competitors. However that’s a plus and a unfavorable as a result of it comes with all of the injury of competing in opposition to these elite guys in these lengthy fights.

Q: For those who win this battle, that will be 10-0 within the UFC. There appears to be a fairly open discipline to get the subsequent likelihood to battle for the featherweight title. Do you have a look at this battle because the winner must get the championship alternative?
A: I imply, yeah, particularly contemplating the razor-thin choice Emmett obtained over Calvin — controversial after which they’re placing [Emmett] in for an interim [title fight] presumably. Yeah, this needs to be it, actually

Q: The world misplaced Elias Theodorou final month after he handed away of most cancers. You two had skilled collectively. Do you've gotten any favourite reminiscences you’d prefer to share?
A: I wouldn’t say we have been greatest associates or something however positively a buddy. He’s a kind of guys, he was all the time, like, annoying as a result of he was all the time completely happy (laughs). No matter was happening, he was all the time smiling. You’d be stressed, you’d see him, and he’d all the time be the identical completely happy man. He was by no means down. It was, like, annoyingly completely happy (laughs). I went out partying with him as soon as. He’s a loopy man. He was a loopy man, a enjoyable man to be round. He was by no means in a nasty temper, by no means unfavorable. You’re in the midst of the camp,.and everybody’s kind of stressed, feeling the burn kind of factor, and he’s nonetheless smiling, completely happy. All the time a contented man.

Q: Do you recall your first expertise watching MMA?
A: My dad competed in MMA, and he used to have the previous DVDs, the UFC ones, all of the originals. Earlier than he fought, we [were] watching these. He was a fan, after which we began watching these fights. I can’t keep in mind who the primary one was, however I do keep in mind certainly one of my first coaches gave me a DVD of [Jose] Aldo. It was Aldo within the previous fights he had in Brazil, I can’t keep in mind, the Vale Tudo fights and the short-shorts and all that. He was soccer kicking everybody (laughs). That was form of my introduction to MMA. 

Q: And that will be your future weight class too: 145 kilos.
A: That was most likely certainly one of my favourite fighters. Watching him rising up, that was the man.

Q: Typical walkaround weight between fights?
A: Eighty-four, 85 [kilograms or 185-187 pounds]. 

Q: Typical weight on battle evening?
A: Not that heavy (laughs). I don’t know.

Q: Favourite post-weight reduce meal?
A: It’s all the time fairly boring after the burden reduce. Normally begin off with some, like, child snacks to construct my abdomen again (laughs). After which, like, hen and potatoes. It’s boring till after the battle. After which it’s burgers and pizza. … I all the time have Mexican meals too: burritos.

Q: Favourite battle of yours out of your regional days?
A: Most likely my skilled debut. I fought a man who was a highly-touted prospect in my first battle, and everybody thought I used to be gonna lose it. Everybody mentioned I used to be gonna lose it (laughs). And yeah, I got here out with a knockout win after a shaky first spherical, again and ahead. That was most likely certainly one of my favourite pre-UFC reminiscences.

Q: Who in MMA do you most admire?
A: Georges St-Pierre.

Q: I believed you would possibly say your father.
A: (Laughs). He’s over there [in the room]. As a fighter: Georges St-Pierre. Sorry, Dad.

Q: What’s the best method in fight sports activities?
A: A leaping knee; Aldo’s leaping knee. 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post