Q&A: Giants’ Wan’Dale Robinson standing tall in football and life

Rookie Giants receiver Wan’Dale Robinson catches up with Put up columnist Steve Serby to speak about his introduction to the NFL and Large Blue’s shocking begin in his first Q&A. 

Q: What drives you as an NFL participant? 

A: I've a tattoo proper [behind the right ear], it’s “Mamba Mentality”: a continuing quest to be the most effective model of your self. 

Q: Does this Giants crew have a Mamba Mentality? 

A: Shoot, I imply, I'd say so. It begins with Dabs [coach Brian Daboll], and he’s simply at all times wanting us to proceed to get higher and we are able to’t get complacent. He truly confirmed us a video of Kobe [Bryant] after the [NBA] Finals, each time they [Lakers] had been up 2-0. He wasn’t completely happy, however precisely what he mentioned, “There may be nothing to be completely happy about but.” You haven’t gained something but on the finish of the day. Similar to for us, we will be 5-1, we nonetheless can’t be completely happy ’trigger the season’s not over. 

Wan'Dale Robinson celebrates after the Giants' win over the Ravens.
Wan’Dale Robinson celebrates after the Giants’ win over the Ravens.
Getty Pictures

Q: What was the response when Daboll confirmed the video through the week? 

A: It hit spot on with everyone. He does a very good job of motivating us and never letting us get complacent with this recreation and even after a recreation and simply holding us hungry. 

Q: What was it like for you the day Kobe perished? 

A: I bear in mind I used to be bowling. I used to be similar to, “That may’t be actual,” after which it was simply sort of like everyone simply sat there and we had been simply all in shock. We didn’t personally know him, however I’d virtually gotten the possibility earlier than COVID to fulfill him. Adidas was internet hosting this occasion, QB Retreat on the Mamba Academy. We had been all getting flown on the market, and Kobe was truly gonna be there, after which COVID occurred actually a month earlier than we had been all presupposed to get flown out. I used to be actually sick each time he handed, however I nonetheless received the sweatshirt I’ll by no means do away with. 

Q: Why do you imagine you may make an affect in your rookie season? 

A: The coaches, they imagine in me … however on the finish of the day I imagine in myself. It’s the identical recreation I’ve been enjoying since I used to be 5 years previous. Simply go on the market, get the ball and make performs, that’s simply sort of how I’ve at all times checked out it. 

Q: You see myself because the … clean … participant on the sphere. 

A: Finest. 

Q: What's the most unfair criticism or the criticism that bothered you most? 

A: Actually for essentially the most half, all of the criticism I’ve ever gotten is I’m too small [5-foot-8]. That’s by no means been something completely different since I used to be most likely 10, 11 years previous. At this level, I simply sort of brush it off and it simply sort of goes in via one ear and out the opposite. 

Q: Do you ever want you had been greater? 

A: I imply, yeah undoubtedly. There’s at all times what-ifs and what-if that, however God made me this fashion, and God gave me the talents that I've, and I gotta do essentially the most with ’em out of what I received. 

Q: Why would you want being seen as an inspiration to quick individuals and athletes? 

A: It doesn’t matter how huge you're, on the finish of the day, so long as you may make performs on the soccer discipline, you'll be able to actually accomplish no matter you need. 

Q: How tall is quick? 

A: (Smile) That’s my man Chris Vaughn proper there. Me and Rondale [Moore, Cardinals receiver], that was sort of our factor popping out of highschool. That was our coach. 

Q: Describe your on-field mentality. 

A: Simply the arrogance that I at all times really feel I’m the most effective, and I can do no matter I really feel like I must do on the market on the soccer discipline, simply at all times believing in myself. My dad instilled that in me once I was 5 years previous and I’ve by no means tried to vary the mindset, and that mindset’s gotten me to the place I'm as we speak. 

Q: So whenever you’re on the sphere you suppose you’re the largest man on the sphere? 

A: Not essentially the largest. I believe on the finish of the day, I don’t suppose anyone can cease me. I don’t actually discuss or something like that to some other gamers on the market on the sphere prefer to allow them to know or something, however I simply have that sort of confidence about myself and simply maintain it to myself and simply maintain going. 

Q: Describe Saquon Barkley. 

A: That boy’s a dawg (snort). I don’t actually know what’s a greater praise than that. However a number of the issues that he does on the market on the soccer discipline, I’m simply sort of like, “Wow.” Like even that play the place he received down [at the Ravens 2], it was similar to, “You’re higher than me ’trigger I woulda scored after I did that transfer on someone (snort).” 

Q: However the instruction from the sideline. You woulda gotten down. 

A: Possibly (snort). That simply reveals he’s selfless, and he’s gonna do no matter he has to do for the crew. He fights via numerous ache. 

Q: What have you ever realized about Daniel Jones? 

A: He’s powerful. I by no means realized how powerful he was till I received right here and simply seeing all of the stuff that he needed to undergo, and seeing a number of the criticism and stuff like that he’s obtained and simply to proceed to see him battle and simply lead our soccer crew, it’s simply been a very great point to see. 

Q: How good of a pacesetter is he? 

A: Nearly as good as I’ve been round. He’s simply doing every part proper. 

Wan'Dale Robinson records a touchdown reception against the Ravens.
Wan’Dale Robinson data a landing reception in opposition to the Ravens.
Invoice Kostroun/New York Put up

Q: Describe Kayvon Thibodeaux. 

A: Goofy, that’s what Kayvon is. He’s not afraid to be himself, and he’s at all times gonna be himself. He’s sort of a chameleon, can at all times sort of slot in with all sort of teams. 

Q: And on the sphere? 

A: He has that first step and will get that stress on the quarterback. I do know sacks are what everyone needs to speak about, however on the finish of the day when you’re affecting the quarterback and getting him to maneuver off the spot, that’s all that actually issues. 

Q: Evan Neal. 

A: Evan’s doing his factor as nicely. Clearly individuals had been attempting to harp on Evan only for some early issues, however I really feel like ever since then he’s simply locked in and been every part that he’s needed to be and he’s simply gonna proceed to get higher I really feel like too. 

Q: Describe enjoying on the large New York stage beneath the intense lights. 

A: That is what you search for as a child. You need to be in one of many huge markets, you need to play in these big-time video games. I like it. I’m simply gonna try to take all of it in and simply take each recreation in similar to it was my first. 

Q: How irritating was it lacking the primary 5 video games with a knee downside? 

A: Very irritating, particularly someone that’s by no means missed greater than two video games in a soccer season. It was actually, actually onerous, particularly after simply a few weeks, and I’m simply feeling like I simply need to be on the market, and simply sort of having some down days and simply feeling like, hey, I simply don’t suppose I’m getting higher or something like that, however simply having to belief the method and understand that it’s an extended season and you'll nonetheless come again and you'll have an effect. 

Q: What's it about this offense that you simply like? 

A: Simply the creativity permits me to do numerous various things. 

Q: Who're essentially the most thrilling gamers within the NFL? 

A: I like watching clearly Tyreek Hill, Cooper Kupp, Stefon Diggs, Davante Adams, Justin Jefferson. … Actually, simply the listing sort of goes down. Actually any recreation that I can sort of get to observe I at all times need to watch ’trigger there’s most likely someone that I would really like watching and simply seeing what they do. 

Wan'Dale Robinson participates in drills at Giants practice on Friday.
Wan’Dale Robinson participates in drills at Giants apply on Friday.
Noah Ok. Murray-NY Put up

Q: You on Instagram: “Folks like to hate, slightly go blind than see me winnin.” 

A: From the place I’m from [Frankfort, Ky.], everyone doesn’t prefer to see you win. I really feel like there’s lots of people that each time I received to this place, and even at that time in school in that place, lots of people hated to see me there. 

Q: Why? 

A: I simply suppose that’s sort of how the world is. 

Q: “Went via some tragedies, I made it out to make it proper.” 

A: One other music lyric caption. Me and my dad and my mother, we went via some issues once I was younger, and that was my at all times my objective to make it out and make a reputation for the household. 

Q: “Wager on your self.” 

A: I’m fairly certain that was a tweet from me round time I used to be deciding I used to be leaving faculty [Kentucky] or not. Lots of people had been attempting to inform me to come back again and inform me to go away, and on the finish of the day, I simply felt like I did sufficient and I used to be prepared for the subsequent degree and able to deal with my household. 

Q: “Received no worry in me.” 

A: Can’t haven't any worry. Particularly everytime you’re on the market on the soccer discipline. 

Q: “I used to be raised to by no means fold when issues get powerful.” 

A: I’ve been via some powerful issues, and Mother’s at all times, “You gotta maintain your head up, gotta maintain going.” 

Q: What's the largest adversity you needed to overcome? 

A: I’d undoubtedly say my dad [Dale Robinson] going to jail [for distributing cocaine] once I was a younger child and simply being with my single mother, and simply being us two for nearly 10 years. 

Q: What was the low level? 

A: Mother [Victoria Davis] offers with MS, so there was instances she couldn’t work. Clearly, a mother and her son, she has to offer for her son and he or she’s clearly struggling a bit bit, so simply seeing her undergo these instances and simply not at all times having the ability to give me every part that I wished, however doing no matter she may to attempt to get me no matter I wished … as a lot of what I wished [as] she may get. 

Q: How is she doing now? 

A: She’s doing all proper now. I will help deal with her a bit bit and guarantee that she’s at all times taken care, and I can be certain I can see her each time I would like now, simply having her flown up right here. 

Q: What sort of truck did you get your father? 

A: A Yukon Denali. Earlier than he was finally locked up once I was a child, that was what we at all times drove round in, he had a white one. It simply sort of takes him again and permits my little sister to only be capable to have a number of the experiences that I had within the quick period of time that I had with him once I was that younger. 

Q: Your little sister Eliza is how previous? 

A: 2. 

Q: What’s it like having a 2-year-old sister? 

A: (Smile) I like it. At first I used to be simply sort of like, “That is sort of bizarre,” however when she got here, it was one of many largest blessings that I’ve ever had. I really like her to dying. That’s sort of like my little parenting earlier than parenting (smile). She’s a full bundle of vitality, and simply at all times smiling. … She will at all times name Bubba, that’s what she calls me (snort). 

Q: You're pleased with your self as a result of … clean. 

A: I’m a giant brother. 

Q: What was the largest lesson your father taught you? 

A: It’s all proper to be completely different. You don’t should comply with down the identical path as different individuals. For me, the place I come from, everyone simply sort of needs to comply with everyone and do the identical issues. Lots of people go down the improper route. He’s simply at all times preaching on me it’s all proper to be completely different, on the finish of the day you might have a dream and you must be a bit completely different to perform that dream. Simply rising up and all all through highschool, simply realizing I can’t do the identical issues as everyone. You at all times should sort of make some sort of sacrifice. 

Q: There was a time whenever you had been indignant at him. 

A: Every time I used to be youthful and I actually found out what he did and simply why he was gone and stuff like that, I used to be clearly indignant, after which as I received older, I simply got here to appreciate on the finish of the day he was actually simply attempting to offer for me, and he was offering for me at that cut-off date. When you requested him, I received something and every part I wished. … I simply couldn’t keep mad without end. 

Q: Are you pleased with your dad now? 

A: It’s powerful for anyone. … You’re incarcerated for what, virtually 10 years, you come residence and also you’re utterly attempting to vary your life round, and at first, no one actually needs to offer you an opportunity. Then you definitely simply begin one thing out of your storage and now you personal two gyms [Guru Fitness] of your personal. Simply to see every part that he’s completed. Even when no one believed in him, he simply stored pushing. In order that simply sort of gave me no excuse to why I couldn’t maintain going with no matter I do. 

Q: Aside from your dad being in jail, what’s the hardest factor you’ve been via? 

A: At one level once I was in like center faculty, highschool, there was simply sort of a rack of deaths in my household. … My grandfather handed away, my aunt handed away, my different grandfather handed away, my cousin handed away. All that is inside like three, 4 years. 

Wan'Dale Robinson, right, and Daniel Jones.
Wan’Dale Robinson, proper, and Daniel Jones.
Robert Sabo for the NY POST

Q: Who's Pepaw? 

A: He handed away once I was in school. That was my dad’s dad. When you return residence and also you see my household, it’s numerous athletes. Fortunately I used to be the one which was blessed sufficient to essentially not make any errors earlier than having the ability to get so far. He’s actually the one which began the bloodline of every part that we've got in our household. 

Q: When you may go one-on-one with any defender in NFL historical past, who wouldn't it be? 

A: Deion Sanders. That’s arguably the most effective participant to ever play so why not? You need to go in opposition to the most effective. 

Q: When you may decide the mind of any receiver or working again in NFL historical past? 

A: Most likely Jerry Rice. That’s arguably one of many GOATs as nicely. Simply actually figuring what he did, clearly he wasn’t the quickest man, and simply how he simply managed to proceed to at all times get open, and what he did to at all times change stuff up, so simply sort of ask him some questions like that. 

Q: What did you costume up as on Halloween? 

A: I don’t know what I’m gonna be this 12 months, however I believe my finest one was most likely once I was Michael Jackson. 

Q: What did you sing in coaching camp? 

A: I sang a Michael Jackson music. 

Q: How’d you do? 

A: I didn’t do good. I received booed. 

Q: Have you ever been to the Kentucky Derby? 

A: I truly went this previous 12 months. 

Q: What was that like? 

A: Superb. I cannot miss one other one (snort). 

Wan’Dale Robinson
Wan’Dale Robinson
Charles Wenzelberg / New York Put up

Q: Three dinner friends? 

A: Kobe Bryant, Reggie Bush, Drake. 

Q: Favourite film? 

A: “Black Panther.” 

Q: Favourite actor? 

A: Denzel [Washington]. 

Q: Favourite actress? 

A: Queen Latifa. 

Q: Favourite meal? 

A: Soul meals. 

Q: After you scored your first NFL landing final week, did you name residence? 

A: My mother and pa had been truly right here [MetLife Stadium]. My mother has my landing ball again residence in Kentucky along with her. That was fairly cool to have these two right here for the sport. 

Q: What was it like whenever you noticed them after the sport? 

A: It was simply loopy. For each of them, they’ve recognized that this had been my dream since I used to be 5, and for my dad to place me to mattress watching NFL Community to truly having the second of scoring a landing, it was fairly surreal, and we simply sort of hugged for a bit bit, and simply sort of had a bit second there. 

Q: What would you need Giants followers to say about you 10 years from now? 

A: That he was the most effective. I don’t suppose anyone needs to stroll out of this and never say that they had been the most effective, and say that they gave it their all.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post