Suspect in NYC ‘knockout-game’ subway attack held on $20K bail: ‘Why am I in trouble?’

The “downside child” charged in a suspected knockout-game assault on a 62-year-old Bronx straphanger claimed the vicious assault was in self-defense, courtroom papers present — as he was ordered held on $20,000 bail.

Deshaun Smith, 21, is charged with assault, harassment and reckless endangerment for allegedly punching the unsuspecting sufferer and knocking him onto the tracks on the 149th Road station Sunday night time, in keeping with police.

In accordance with a felony criticism, Smith allegedly slugged the straphanger within the head out of nowhere whereas the sufferer was ready for a No. 4 practice — then shoved him onto the subway tracks.

Smith claimed self-defense to authorities, in keeping with new courtroom papers. He was ordered held on $20,000 bail at his Bronx arraignment early Tuesday.

“Is it wanting dangerous for me?” Smith allegedly requested cops of the case, in keeping with the criticism. “My factor is, he stated one thing to me inappropriate first. I used to be defending myself. Can I simply say one factor earlier than I get inside? I used to be defending myself.

Deshaun Smith
Deshaun Smith, 21, is charged with assaulting a 62-year-old straphanger.
Wayne Carrington

“Why am I in bother? Why are you doing this? I don’t have a report,” he stated. “Am I getting booked for this? I did push him.”

Prosecutors weren’t shopping for it.

The sufferer’s spouse has advised The Submit that her husband was minding his personal enterprise on his technique to work when he was struck within the unprovoked assault, which police sources stated could have been a part of the twisted on-line “knockout sport” problem concentrating on strangers.

“There are loopy folks on the subway,” she stated Monday. “That is life now, the way in which the town’s going. The subways are simply loopy now.

“I've to say, whoever did this can be a frickin’ animal, in my thoughts,” she railed. “He ought to be off the road. These folks solely assault somebody they assume can’t battle again.”

She stated two good Samaritans helped her battered husband again onto the platform.

Smith, who lives in Williamsburg, was beforehand arrested Oct. 6 for allegedly snatching a 51-year-old lady’s keys and injuring her hand, police stated. Police described the incident as a home dispute, and he was launched with out bail in that case after being charged with harassment, felony mischief and menacing.

A employee at Smith’s Brooklyn constructing stated the sufferer was his personal mom.

Deshaun Smith was charged with attacking his mother on Oct. 6.
Deshaun Smith was charged with attacking a girl Oct. 6.

“You don’t contact your mom like that. Once I requested him why he did this, he advised me, ‘I've issues,’ ” the employee stated.

“He’s been an issue on this constructing, an issue child. He’s simply been so indignant, indignant for about two months. He doesn’t wish to discuss to anybody,” the employee added of Smith.

Police stated Smith fled the Bronx subway station after Sunday’s assault however that he was finally tracked down by cops and brought into custody on Monday.

He's at present being held on the Eric M. Taylor Heart on Riker’s Island, information present.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post