Billy Wagner can’t figure out why he isn’t in Hall of Fame: ‘Not the numbers’

Billy Wagner thinks subjective opinion is preserving him out of the Baseball Corridor of Fame.

Earlier this week, Wagner joined Jon Zaghloul on “Sports activities Discuss Chicago,” and the previous All-Star nearer gave his ideas on why has not been enshrined in Cooperstown.

“I don’t know,” he stated. “You’re actually asking one thing of me that I’m not snug with as a result of my considered Corridor of Fame is all based mostly on numbers. I can’t do nothing in regards to the numbers which can be on the market. I don’t know easy methods to construct my case when the case is predicated on numbers … I don’t need to say that it’s a private factor since you actually can’t say I wasn’t good if my numbers are what they're.”

Wagner pitched for the Astros, Phillies, Mets, Pink Sox and Braves from 1995-2010. He made seven All-Star video games, had a 2.31 profession ERA and a 0.998 WHIP and compiled 422 saves — good for sixth all-time. He believes these numbers converse for themselves.

“It’s not an unbiased vote if you happen to’re voting and saying it’s numbers. It’s not,” Wagner stated. “It’s clearly like/dislike. The one factor I can say is I’ve all the time been accountable for good, unhealthy, detached as I took accountability for my actions. I used to be all the time there at my locker to current the nice and the unhealthy with interviews. However, numbers clever there’s no case to be made for [not being in] the Corridor of Fame if we’re gonna discuss numbers.

Billy Wagner believes subjective opinions are keeping him out of the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Billy Wagner believes subjective opinions are preserving him out of the Baseball Corridor of Fame.
Jim McIsaac

“If we’re gonna discuss sainthood, or how politically right I used to be on a regular basis in an interview, then I’m positive I shouldn’t be in there. However, I don’t assume there was ever anybody who didn’t take pleasure in sitting at my locker ready for an interview, as a result of I used to be giving one. Whether or not you favored it or not, I used to be there.”

Earlier this yr, The Publish polled the 10 writers from the sports activities part who've Corridor of Fame votes on who they’d be casting for and 4 voted for Wagner.

Wagner was requested about why he thought he hasn’t been voted in.

“I don’t get many West Coast votes, I don’t assume, and possibly that’s as a result of they didn’t see me that a lot. I don’t know. I actually don’t know,” he stated. “There’s New York voters who're guys who don’t vote for me. Whether or not you want me or don’t like me, the numbers assist [me]. I do know there’s lots of people who say relievers or closers shouldn’t be in, however I’ve additionally seen the articles they’ve written when the man blows the save.

“I believe it’s form of wishy-washy at instances how we’re seen. I don’t assume the requirements are the identical for each particular person. I do know there’s rumors unfold about every participant which can be unfaithful. However many of the media, I don’t speak to. I don’t know most people that vote at the moment. I don’t know in the event that they know me. I don’t know in the event that they noticed me pitch. I don’t know what the actual motive is, however everyone knows that it’s not the numbers.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post