Hilary Duff reveals how she coped with ‘horrifying’ eating disorder

Hilary Duff has revealed a “horrifying” consuming dysfunction she stated she suffered as a teen star.

Duff landed her first main function when she was 10 years previous, within the 1998 film “Casper Meets Wendy,” and has remained within the highlight ever since.

In a brand new interview with Girls’s Well being Australia, the Disney Channel alum recalled strain to be skinny due to her profession path.

“I'm on digital camera, and actresses are skinny,” Duff recounted. “It was horrifying.”

The 35-year-old stated she has grown to like her pure athletic construct and feels “proud” of her physique, together with that it has produced three youngsters.

“[I’m] appreciating my well being, doing actions that make me really feel robust as an alternative of simply bettering the surface of my physique. Spending time with those that make me really feel good and share comparable views on well being and physique positivity and getting sufficient sleep and stability in my food plan,” she stated.

Hilary Duff Women's Health Australia Cover
The 35-year-old admitted her profession as an actress led her to imagine she needed to be “skinny.”

Duff grew to become a teen idol together with her breakout function because the titular character in Disney Channel’s cult-classic sitcom “Lizzie McGuire,” which ran from 2001 to 2004.

Years in the past, the star revealed she battled an consuming dysfunction because the present ended, weighing a measly 98 kilos when she was 17 years previous. Duff, who stands at 5 toes, 2 inches tall, admitted she was “completely obsessed” with meals and “means too skinny.”

“My physique wasn’t that wholesome — my arms would cramp up lots as a result of I wasn’t getting the diet I wanted.”

1 of 5
Hilary Duff at Sunglass Hut during 2005
Duff shared she weighed simply 98 kilos when she was 17 years previous and was “completely obsessed” with meals. She’s pictured right here in 2005.
FilmMagic for Ogilvy Public Rela
Hilary Duff during 2005 MTV Video Music Awards
The actress appeared on the large display at 10 years previous and shortly grew to become a teen sensation.
WireImage

Commercial
Hilary Duff, performer during 33rd Annual American Music Awards 2005
Duff is talking brazenly about her previous struggles, sharing she is now “proud” of her physique.
FilmMagic

Commercial

A 2019 examine printed in JAMA Community Open discovered one in seven males and one in 5 girls experiences an consuming dysfunction by the age of 40, with 95% of these instances starting earlier than age 25.

And the problem doesn’t appear to be getting higher. Consuming problems have reportedly been on the rise in recent times, significantly amongst teen women, research present.

Duff shared that as a teen she felt the “fixed strain of wanting one thing totally different” than her pure, wholesome form, however regrets that poisonous mindset today. “I really feel like there was means an excessive amount of time spent desirous about that,” Duff stated.

The actress now expresses confidence in her physique and even posed nude for the Might-June cowl of Girls’s Well being. “I've simply gained a whole lot of respect for my physique,” she advised the journal.

“It’s taken me all of the locations I have to go. It’s helped me construct a fantastic household. I really feel just like the older I get, the extra assured I get in my very own pores and skin … I’m actually simply fascinated by one: being a lady. And two: all of the adjustments that your physique can undergo all through your lifetime.”

If you happen to or somebody you like is scuffling with an consuming dysfunction, you may get assist. Name the Nationwide Consuming Dysfunction Affiliation helpline at (800) 931-2237 or go to nationaleatingdisorders.org.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post