Raven-Symoné: Why I didn’t want my ‘Raven’s Home’ character to be gay

Raven-Symoné wasn’t too eager on producers on the Disney Channel suggesting that her character on “Raven’s Residence” be a part of the LGBTQ group.

The previous little one star, 36 — who identifies as nonbinary and married Miranda Maday in 2020 — has starred within the “That’s So Raven” spinoff since 2017.

Raven-Symoné was interviewed by Them earlier this month when she admitted that she needed to maintain her actual persona separate from her Raven Baxter one.

“I believe Disney needed her to be queer to start with, and I simply didn’t really feel snug doing that,” she famous.

“They had been like, ‘Would you like Raven to be homosexual?’ I mentioned, ‘Why?’ [And they said,] ‘Since you are.’ I mentioned, ‘Unhealthy, dangerous cause. That’s a foul cause,’ ” the “Princess Diaries 2” actress continued.

“No, Raven Baxter by no means exhibited any kind of sexual identification scenario within the priors,” she added. “I’m not being myself on this present; I’m being a personality.”

Raven-Symoné shot to fame within the 2003 Disney Channel collection “That’s So Raven,” enjoying the wacky titular character who will get into bizarre conditions and who can see visions of the longer term.

RAVEN-SYMONE´
The singer appeared on the hit Disney Channel sitcom “That’s So Raven” from 2003 to 2007.
Disney Enterprises

Whereas the sitcom led to 2007, a sequel premiered 10 years later and is at the moment in its fifth season.

“Raven’s Residence” follows Raven Baxter as she raises her two kids after her divorce, alongside her greatest pal, Chelsea (Anneliese van der Pol).

“Raven Baxter’s not homosexual. It doesn't matter what the primary 4 seasons seemed like, with me and Chelsea sleeping in the identical room and us elevating a household collectively,” the previous “The View” co-host continued. “OK, that’s not the case. We're associates. Who sleep in the identical room.”

She additionally identified how she didn’t imagine that Raven Baxter ought to be courting within the spinoff.

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA - MAY 31: Raven-Symone and Miranda Maday attend Pride Eve: Countdown To Pride at Poppy on May 31, 2022 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Vivien Killilea/Getty Images for Invisible Narratives c/o Pride Eve)
Raven-Symoné married social media supervisor Miranda Maday in 2020.
Getty Pictures for Invisible Narra

“It’s so humorous as a result of we’re engaged on the sixth season now, and I’m speaking to the EPs and so they’re like, ‘And also you’re gonna begin courting?’ ” she acknowledged. “I’m like, ‘She don’t have to date both. She’s simply gonna be nothing.’ “

The “This Is My Time” singer beforehand revealed again in 2017 how she was shocked to study that Disney Channel needed her again on the air regardless of her sexual orientation.

“I used to be shocked they selected me! I used to be like, ‘I got here out, I mentioned all types of stuff . . . Have a look at y’all!’ Thanks Disney for understanding I’m a human,” she instructed Hollywood Life 5 years in the past.

“So, yeah, I used to be pleasantly shocked, however once more, as we develop and because the community grows and as humanity grows, the children are getting smarter and smarter! You possibly can’t misinform them,” she mentioned. “So, I give props to Disney for embracing who I'm and who the children are of right this moment.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post