Gerard Gallant tweaks Rangers lineup again: ‘Didn’t like what I was seeing’

It didn’t take lengthy for Gerard Gallant to tear up the lineup card. 

That’s commonplace for the Rangers head coach this season, however it was notably noticeable within the 4-3 extra time victory towards the Devils on Monday night time at Madison Sq. Backyard. The lineup that took the ice in the beginning had been intact for 3 straight video games, which had solely occurred two different instances this season. The group’s sluggish begin, nevertheless, pressured his hand. 

“I alter the traces an excessive amount of,” Gallant mentioned. “I wasn’t comfortable and I simply needed to see what would occur. I believed it went higher. I’m uninterested in altering the traces, I actually am. You’ve acquired to do one thing whenever you’re a coach. I need the traces to remain the identical, however I didn’t like what I used to be seeing. 

“I’ve instructed you what number of instances now? I wish to preserve the traces the identical. I wish to allow them to go and provides them an opportunity, however I wasn’t liking what I used to be seeing.” 

Gerard Gallant
Gerard Gallant once more tweaked the Rangers lineup.
Corey Sipkin for the NY POST

Gallant flipped his prime two facilities, Mika Zibanejad and Filip Chytil, which reunited the Child Line as soon as once more. The ahead traces weren’t the one adjustments made, both. Jacob Trouba had a very tough first few shifts, which included a failed clearing try that Devils ahead Dawson Mercer ended up burying for the 2-0 lead within the first interval. 

Gallant bumped Trouba to the underside duo with Libor Hajek, whereas Okay’Andre Miller and Braden Schneider paired up. 

The Rangers lineup hasn’t had a lot continuity this season. 

Whether or not it was the early string of accidents for Vitali Kravtsov, the fixed back-and-forth between defensemen Zac Jones and Hajek or the rearranging of line combos, the Blueshirts haven’t had a lot of an opportunity to develop their chemistry. 

Not solely did the lineup that began this sport take wins over the Pacific Division-leading Golden Knights and the Avalanche, the reigning Stanley Cup champions — albeit depleted variations of each golf equipment — however they’ve merely performed a extra cohesive group sport. Plus, the re-promotions of Alexis Lafreniere and Kaapo Kakko to the highest six, along with Chytil getting a crack on the No. 2 heart job, are strikes the group has to offer an opportunity if it considers these three to be a part of the group’s future. 

“I don’t wish to change my traces,” Gallant mentioned after follow on Sunday. “I wish to preserve them going. I’ve acquired guys taking part in good. I take a look at our lineup, it’s fairly constant, these prime three traces. We all know what our fourth line is and what they do for us and so they did a great job these days, however our prime three traces, any given night time you possibly can say, ‘That is our greatest line.’ That’s what it needs to be. Consistency, play nicely and undergo your complete group and your complete lineup taking part in nicely. I like our group.” 


Chris Kreider’s first-period objective prolonged his dwelling level streak to 11 video games (seven targets, 4 assists). The final Rangers participant with a run longer than Kreider’s present streak was Jaromir Jagr in 2006-07 (12 video games).

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post