Israeli forces kill at least 6 Palestinians in latest Jenin raid

A minimum of 11 individuals wounded, together with two with critical accidents, the Palestinian well being ministry says.

Israeli forces have killed not less than six Palestinians and wounded 11 others throughout a raid within the occupied West Financial institution metropolis of Jenin, in line with the Palestinian Authority’s well being ministry.

Two of the wounded individuals had critical accidents, the ministry stated in a press release on Tuesday.

Witnesses instructed AFP information company that a home was besieged by the Israeli forces and hit with rockets. Footage circulating on social media confirmed helicopters over a column of navy automobiles getting into town.

Israeli authorities stated one of many Palestinian males they killed was behind the taking pictures of two brothers from an unlawful settlement close to the Palestinian village of Huwara final week.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s workplace stated troops had “eradicated” the gunman who final month killed two Israeli settlers within the West Financial institution.

Al Jazeera’s Sara Khairat, reporting from Ramallah, stated that one other raid by Israeli forces was additionally carried out on Tuesday night in one other refugee camp south of Nablus.

The military entered a constructing within the Askar refugee camp and arrested three males, together with two sons of a 49-year-old man killed in Jenin.

People gather along a road during an Israeli army raid in the Jenin camp for Palestinian refugees in the occupied West Bank on March 7, 2023. - Israeli troops killed one Palestinian and wounded several others in a raid in Jenin on March 7, the Palestinian health ministry said. Witnesses in the refugee camp reported heavy gunfire between militants and soldiers as the Israeli forces surrounded a house.
Individuals collect alongside a highway throughout an Israeli military raid in Jenin [Jaafar Ashtiyeh/AFP]

Nabil Abu Rudeineh, spokesman for Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas, known as the usage of rockets in Jenin on Tuesday an act of “all-out struggle”, Palestinian information company Wafa reported.

Abu Rudeineh accused the Israeli authorities of being “answerable for this harmful escalation which threatens to inflame the state of affairs and destroy all efforts geared toward restoring stability”.

US Secretary of State Antony Blinken in a single day reiterated requires either side to de-escalate tensions within the West Financial institution, and the violence can also be anticipated to be raised by Protection Secretary Lloyd Austin when he visits Israel this week.

Nonetheless, there was no signal of any let up within the violence, forward of the beginning of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan and the Jewish Passover competition.

In a single day on Monday, Israeli settlers attacked Palestinians within the village of Huwara, the scene of a violent rampage final week by dozens of settlers searching for revenge for the taking pictures of the 2 Israelis as they sat of their automobile.

Israeli military and border police forces dispersed crowds of what the navy described as “various violent rioters” in Huwara. Movies shared on social media confirmed a bunch of black-clad youths attacking a Palestinian automobile earlier than its driver managed to tug away.

“My spouse was sitting within the again and he or she hugged our daughter to cowl her,” stated Omar Khalifa, who had simply completed procuring at a grocery store and was within the automobile along with his household once they had been attacked.

“We might have misplaced her. There was actual hazard to our lives.”

Different footage appeared to indicate Israeli troopers dancing along with Jewish settlers within the city on what was the Jewish competition of Purim. “Huwara has been conquered, gents!” a voice is heard saying in Hebrew.

Israel’s navy didn't handle a query concerning the footage of its troopers dancing with settlers when it responded to a request for data on the incident from Reuters.

Final week, settlers torched dozens of automobiles and homes in Huwara after two brothers had been shot by a Palestinian gunman as they sat of their automobile at a checkpoint close by.

The rampage, described as a “pogrom” by a senior Israeli commander, triggered worldwide outrage and condemnation, which was elevated when ultra-nationalist Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich, who has accountability for features of the West Financial institution administration, stated Huwara needs to be “erased”. Smotrich later provided a partial retraction.

Marwan Bishara, Al Jazeera’s senior political analyst, stated that Israel’s violent repression will do little to quash Palestinian resistance.

“The thought which you can merely include Jenin by extra violence has confirmed to be unsuitable over time and many years. The refugee camps and the cities that the Israeli assault probably the most, the place it killed probably the most, have turned to be a very powerful symbols of Palestinian resistance,” Bishara stated.

“Hebron or Gaza or Jenin and others have confirmed to be probably the most resistant, probably the most steadfast, and we’re going to proceed to see extra Israeli raids, extra Palestinian resistance, the cycle will proceed.”

Settlers have killed not less than 5 Palestinians in 2023 to date, whereas Israeli forces have killed not less than 68 Palestinians this yr. In the identical interval, 13 Israelis and one Ukrainian lady have been killed in apparently uncoordinated assaults.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post