Jared Cannonier (15-6, 12 finishes) returns to the cage for the primary time since arising wanting his bid for the middleweight title in July, headlining the ultimate UFC Battle Night time of 2022 in opposition to Sean Strickland (25-4, 14 finishes). Prematurely of the occasion Saturday (7 p.m. ET, ESPN+) from UFC Apex in Las Vegas, Cannonier spoke Wednesday with The Put up’s Scott Fontana for this week’s Put up Battle Interview Q&A session.
Q: This battle was initially scheduled for October earlier than Strickland pulled out in August, which might have been a fast turnaround for you after difficult for the middleweight title in July.
A: You’re completely proper. I used to be gonna battle two months in the past. I'd have most well-liked the battle earlier, nevertheless it’s all good; extra time to coach, extra time to get higher, extra time to ingrain all of the strategies I want for victory.
Q: You haven’t had fights that shut collectively because the begin of your UFC run in 2016. Why the curiosity in combating once more so quickly?
A: I’ve handled accidents in between fights, particularly 2020 and ’21, so I needed to get proper again to it. I wish to keep busy normally, however issues occur. At first, it was work, early on in my UFC profession. Not most just lately, however prior to now, the accidents. I simply wish to keep busy. After all, the title is at all times a objective, so ahead development is a should. And the one strategy to make that occur is to battle.

Q: You’re coming off your first UFC championship battle. It didn’t go your means in opposition to Israel Adesanya, however what had been your takeaways from the expertise?
A: I realized so much from that battle transferring round with Israel, the most effective within the sport, and experiencing his capability to keep away from injury and choose his pictures and stuff. I realized so much from that have. On high of that, being within the championship battle, title battle on one of many greatest pay-per-views of the yr. And on high of all that, all of the issues I began creating throughout camp, all that has carried over into now, if you'll.
Q: What was going by way of your head on the time the Strickland battle was postponed on the finish of August?
A: We found out what was going to occur. I figured they had been gonna reschedule it. At the moment, “Oh, crap. Oh effectively. Return to the health club, get again to work.” Took the household to Hawaii, so we took a pleasant little trip, got here again to Arizona and bought proper again to work. Obtained the cellphone calls I prefer to get, and right here we're.
Q: How was the Hawaii journey?
A: Oh, Hawaii is good. Maui was very nice. … We had been in Paia. It was actual good. Some good meals. The climate was good, and the water was even nicer.
Q: Most likely a great recharge since you had been nonetheless coming off that large battle.
A: It was a extremely good recharge. After I bought again and I bought again to coaching, I felt very refreshed. I felt actually good, so it was a extremely good reset button.
Q: So far as Strickland goes, do you two have any historical past? Have you ever interacted or skilled collectively through the years?
A: No, I’ve by no means skilled with him. By no means interacted with him. The closest I’ve been to him was the press convention for the title battle.
Q: What’s your evaluation of Strickland as a fighter and the way you two match up?
A: I feel he’s a hard-nosed fighter. He comes ahead. He places his fist in your face. I heard he’s a fairly good grappler on the bottom as effectively, simply haven’t seen it as a result of he hasn’t wanted it, which is a testomony to how good his combating is. He’s a great competitor, a great opponent to have, and I’m excited to have him.
Q: Strickland is coming off of his loss to Alex Pereira, who’s now the champion. You’re coming off the loss to Adesanya, who misplaced to Pereira at Madison Sq. Backyard final month. What goes by way of your head within the aftermath of a battle that creates some upheaval and possibly a brand new alternative on the high of the middleweight division?
A: The factor that went by way of my head was that — and I’ve mentioned it earlier than, and I’ll say it once more — the belt altering arms the way in which it did brings extra curiosity to the division versus bringing extra curiosity to Israel himself. It’s unlucky that he misplaced the belt the way in which he did; I believed he was on his strategy to successful that battle. However it's what it's. It’s the secret. It occurs. Congrats to Alex.

Q: Are you considering you’re possibly just some fights away from one other championship alternative?
A: Yeah, completely. On this place, I’m ranked No. 3 [in the UFC contender rankings]. That’s at all times the thought in my thoughts as a result of it’s proper there. You'll be able to attain out and contact it. I can rattling close to style it. It’s proper there. So hell yeah, who might ignore that,? I undoubtedly wish to carry out the way in which I wish to carry out this weekend [to] undoubtedly inform the matchmakers or whoever it's on the market that makes the choice that, “Yeah, possibly we should always give him a title shot once more.” Or a contenders battle, one or the opposite.
Q: You had your individual Backyard second in 2018 in opposition to an area man in David Department. That was an enormous win for you. Take me by way of the sensation of that second?
A: It was a great second. These moments are fleeting, although. … It was rapidly overlapped by Brazil, although, as a result of I fought Anderson [Silva] after that battle. So it was rapidly overlapped. And I'd say that battle was matched by the efficiency in Copenhagen [against Jack Hermansson] after Brazil. However it was good. The pre-walkout motivation I bought from the fan within the stands, I forgot the child’s identify; Ironside MMA, I feel, is his identify on Instagram. After which the efficiency, combating a top-level [former] dual-weight champion in one other group. And he’s a legend of the game. He’s been round for a very long time. He’s fought a whole lot of completely different high names. At that time in my profession, I used to be taking pictures for the moon.
Q: What was your first expertise watching MMA?
A: I had left school and I used to be at house at my momma’s home, and I used to be on the brink of enlist within the Military. I can’t keep in mind who was combating. It was 2005. … It was a type of Corridor of Famers. I keep in mind watching that, and I used to be like, “Man, that appeared enjoyable.” And on the time, my mom was opening our house as much as foster children and stuff, and one in all them was a friggin’ martial artist; lived in a Buddhist temple in Ecuador, El Salvador or someplace like that, and he was a refugee. So he knew some stuff, you understand what I’m saying? We had gloves, we'd spar and stuff like that once in a while. Then I joined the Military, and so they had Fashionable Military Combatives, and that was my first actual style of formal martial arts, not simply within the yard with gloves on, making an attempt to do some stuff.
Q: Typical walkaround weight between fights?
A: About 212 [pounds], 215. … However I fluctuate big-time. I can rise up to, like, 230 If I’m not doing something for weeks on finish; I’m simply consuming like I don’t have a battle arising (laughs), consuming like an undisciplined oaf.
Q: Typical weight on battle night time?
A: Possibly a lightweight heavyweight: 205, 202.
Q: Favourite post-fight meal?
A: I attempt to keep clear. I attempt to keep as pure as attainable. I don’t go to a quick meals restaurant and gorge myself on chemically-created meals and stuff as a result of that ain’t actually meals to me. I'd indulge someplace, one way or the other, nevertheless it’s gotta be a top-quality kind factor for it to attract me. Aside from that, I preserve it fairly common: a meat, some fruits, some veggies, one thing like that. If I might discover one thing extraordinary, extravagant, then I’ll go for it. However I attempt to keep as pure as attainable, as clear as attainable.
Q: What’s the best method in fight sports activities?
A: I've a couple of of my repertoire that I feel are fairly cool. I bought some spinning s–t in there, some acrobatic-type stuff. I name [them] my $50,000 strikes. I don’t wish to say what they're on digital camera. I wish to present the world. … The very best method, I'd say, is to don't have any method, because the grandmaster Bruce Lee as soon as mentioned.
Post a Comment