Transgender Qatari princess flees country fearing persecution

A Qatari princess was granted asylum within the UK over fears that they'd be persecuted for being transgender.

Leaked paperwork obtained by the Sunday Occasions of London present that the princess, who's a member of Qatar’s ruling Al Thani household, instructed Britain’s Dwelling Workplace — the federal government company liable for immigration and safety — how troublesome their upbringing was.

“I'm born a feminine however was male on the within. Being homosexual in Qatar is taken into account punishable by regulation and dying,” the princess wrote. “Qatar is extraordinarily strict in Sharia.”

The Gulf state at present internet hosting the World Cup forbids homosexuality.

The leaked paperwork present that the princess escaped throughout a household journey to London in the summertime of 2015 and went into hiding with their girlfriend.

Of their utility for asylum, the princess included two letters that described how that they had been “depressed ever since I can keep in mind just because my outdoors by no means matched my inside.”

The punishment for homosexuality in Qatar is death.
Qatar’s ban on homosexuality has been on the forefront of this 12 months’s World Cup.
AFP through Getty Photos

The princess additionally wrote about their dream to run away from the nation’s ruling household.

“I felt as if my life had been thrown within the rubbish,” they wrote. “I by no means wished to marry my male cousins like the remainder of my household. I'm terrified for what my brothers are about to unleash. I'm scared.”

Qatar’s ban on homosexuality has been a hot-button subject all through this 12 months’s World Cup, the place seven European groups had been barred from sporting anti-discrimination “One Love” armbands by FIFA.

Homosexuality is punishable by as much as three years in Qatari jail. A report from Human Rights Watch revealed in October discovered that there have been instances Qatari safety forces members arresting LGBT folks and subjecting them to “ill-treatment and detention” with out cause.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post