Columbia top shrink suspended for calling a dark-skin model a ‘freak of nature’

Columbia College suspended its high shrink Wednesday after he instructed a black mannequin’s darkish pores and skin might make her a “freak of nature.” 

Dr. Jeffrey Lieberman, head of the varsity’s psychiatry division, retweeted a photograph of South Sudanese-American mannequin Nyakim Gatwech and wrote, “Whether or not a murals or freak of nature she’s a gorgeous sight to behold.”

Columbia didn't present an announcement on Lieberman’s feedback. However the Manhattan faculty confirmed that he was suspended from his division chair position Wednesday because of the feedback and was additionally eliminated because the psychiatrist-in-chief at Columbia College Irving Medical Middle/New York-Presbyterian Hospital.

“I tweeted from my private account a message that was racist and sexist. Prejudices and stereotypical assumptions I didn’t know I held have been uncovered — to myself and to you — and I’m deeply ashamed and really sorry,” Lieberman wrote in a Tuesday electronic mail to college and employees that was offered to The Publish. 

“An apology from me to the Black group, to ladies, and to all of you is just not sufficient. I’ve damage many, and I'm starting to grasp the work forward to make wanted private modifications and over time to regain your belief,” he added.

Nyakim Gatwech attends House Of Uoma presents the launch of Uoma Beauty.
Gatwech responded by saying, “I really like my darkish pores and skin and my nickname ‘Queen of Darkish.’”
Getty Photos

The publish additionally price Lieberman his position because the director of the New York State Psychiatric Institute, run by the state Workplace of Psychological Well being.

“The Workplace of Psychological Well being took instant motion after studying of Dr. Lieberman’s offensive and inappropriate feedback on social media,” it advised The Publish in an announcement Thursday.

Gatwech, who unwittingly discovered herself on the middle of the controversy, responded to Lieberman’s feedback on Instagram, saying, “I really like my darkish pores and skin and my nickname ‘Queen of Darkish.'”

Lieberman couldn't be reached by The Publish on Thursday.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post