Sue Bird says ‘all signs’ point to 2022 being her last WNBA season

SEATTLE — Sue Fowl appeared a bit of uneasy sitting behind a microphone and listening to her coach and normal supervisor bathe her with reward.

“I most likely might have stayed within the different room for these feedback. Will get a bit of awkward up right here listening to folks speak about you in that method,” Fowl mentioned jokingly.

Fowl might must get used to that type of consideration coming her method from across the WNBA for the upcoming season. She mentioned Tuesday that each one indicators are pointing towards the 2022 season being her final with the Seattle Storm, however she doesn't need the upcoming season to be a farewell tour.

“I feel it’s assumed to be my final and I do imagine all arrows are pointing in that path,” Fowl mentioned. “For some motive, I don’t essentially need to function in that house as a result of I feel for my character … it doesn’t essentially match for each sport I am going into to be, ‘That is Sue’s final sport on this metropolis. That is her final time placing her shoe on.’ I don’t actually function in that house properly, however I perceive that comes with it.”

Seattle Storm guard Sue Bird smiles as she talks about her return for one more WNBA basketball season during a news conference Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2022, in Seattle.
Sue Fowl smiles as she talks about her return for another WNBA season throughout a information convention Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2022, in Seattle.
AP

Fowl, a four-time WNBA champion, 12-time All-Star and the oldest participant within the league at 41, had beforehand introduced she would return for another season. She waited till Seattle completed its offseason maneuvers — together with bringing again Jewell Loyd and Breanna Stewart — earlier than signing her take care of the Storm final week.

Fowl mentioned she anticipated the primary query to be about whether or not the upcoming season can be her final.

“I really feel actually fortunate that I get to be on this place to make this determination. It will get to be on my phrases,” Fowl mentioned. “Not plenty of athletes are afforded that chance. Clearly, Lauren Jackson being one I witnessed firsthand having accidents and issues like that being the explanation for her determination. So I simply really feel actually fortunate.”

Seattle Storm guard Sue Bird poses for a photo with team championship trophies after a news conference where she talked about her return for one more WNBA basketball season Tuesday, Feb. 22, 2022, in Seattle.
Sue Fowl poses for a photograph with the Storm’s championship trophies.
AP

Fowl has spent her whole WNBA profession with Seattle since turning into the No. 1 decide in 2002 following her storied school profession at Connecticut. This season shall be her twenty first related to the franchise, though simply her nineteenth enjoying after lacking two seasons because of accidents. She’s the league’s all-time chief in assists and the usual by which different level guards are judged.

However she’s additionally on the stage the place she’s enjoying alongside teammates who've dad and mom her identical age. Fowl joked that her warmups take so long as her exercises now. And whereas Fowl doesn’t need to shut the ebook on the longer term, it’s clear all events are viewing this season because the probably conclusion.

“She’s been a tremendous instance for me, for girls typically and for everybody who enjoys the game of basketball,” Seattle coach Noelle Quinn mentioned. “So for this season, I do know it’s going to be her finale, however I’m not even occupied with that.”

Fowl mentioned final season was the primary time she performed with the thought of probably retiring in her thoughts. Seattle misplaced to Phoenix within the second spherical of the WNBA playoffs whereas Stewart was injured and Fowl was met with chants of “another yr” from the house crowd after the loss.

Fowl mentioned that resonated and inside a couple of days she known as her coach and determined to begin making ready to play in 2022.

“The followers chanted and I feel it simply gave me this entire different perspective on issues,” Fowl mentioned. “I by no means thought this was nearly me, however that basically made me understand this determination isn't just about me.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post