Talia Shire: Why I shouldn’t have been in ‘The Godfather’

Apparently it actually was a proposal she couldn’t refuse.

Nevertheless, Talia Shire advised The Put up that if she had been in her brother Francis Ford Coppola‘s sneakers, she wouldn’t have employed herself for the position of Connie Corleone in “The Godfather.”

Alluding to the truth that Paramount Footage execs had been mulling whether or not to fireside director Coppola from the manufacturing she revealed, “it was actually powerful for Francis.”

Shire, 75, added, “And I feel the very last thing he wanted was his sister at the moment … It added yet one more rigidity for him … I wouldn’t have had me on the set.”

However the actress additionally famous that she “needed to audition” for the position — and she or he and her huge bro, now 82, finally “loved a collaborative skilled relationship on that film.”

Shire, who performed the difficult position of the one daughter of Don Corleone — married to ne’er do properly Carlo Rizzi (Gianni Russo) — mentioned that the harrowing scene the place a clearly pregnant Connie is throwing dishes whereas dodging blows from her onscreen husband was tough to shoot.

“It’s a tough factor to see a pregnant girl being knocked round,” she acknowledged earlier than explaining that legendary cinematographer Gordon Willis was “within the heart of the motion.”

"The Godfather" wedding scene.
Connie’s wedding ceremony to Carlo Rizzi is at first of the “The Godfather.”
Everett Assortment / Everett Col

“And I needed to transfer from place to put and I used to be truthfully terrified since you didn’t wish to do one other take. One other take meant all the pieces needed to be reset and I simply wished to maintain going and generally issues wouldn’t break. And I keep in mind my sneakers got here off and I stored operating, hoping, toes don’t fail me now. I don’t wish to get minimize. However it was a marvel to shoot and I feel it was very potent.”

Shire admitted she had no concept the movie — which celebrates its fiftieth anniversary this yr with a restricted revival run beginning Friday in film theaters — was a masterpiece whereas filming till Marlon Brando got here on set.

She reminded The Put up that Brando was solely 46 when he performed the Mafia don.

Talia Shire and Francis Ford Coppola.
Coppola is seven years older than Shire.
Ron Galella Assortment through Getty

“He walked onto the set as an extremely younger and good-looking man,” she mentioned, “After which he would come onto the set totally made up and he was this different individual as a result of he was an incredible actor. He had monumental craft. However it was one thing about that nice artist with all of his craft and the collaboration with Francis. That was fairly fairly… You knew it was going to be nice.”

Shire praised all of the solid however particularly wished to keep in mind John Cazale, who performed Fredo Corleone and died in 1978 on the age of 42.

“I really feel I would like to say him,” she mentioned. “He was one of many nice actors that you simply wished to behave with or wished to be with as a result of he was probably the most beneficiant artist round.”

The actress who scored an Oscar nomination for her position as Adrian in “Rocky” comes from a creative household — her different brother August was a literature professor, Nicolas Cage and Sofia Coppola are her nephew and niece, and certainly one of her sons is actor Jason Schwartzman.

Talia Shire and Sylvester Stallone in "Rocky."
Shire performed the love curiosity in Rocky reverse Sylvester Stallone.
Getty Photos

“My father [Carmine Coppola] was first flutist with Toscanini,” she defined. “After I was a little bit woman I might hear him apply and it might cease me lifeless as a result of it was so stunning. So I feel it started there for me. And simply the way in which my brothers had been, they had been totally different.

“Perhaps it’s simply genetic, I don’t know, however boy there was a love of magnificence and all of the onerous instances that went with that,.”

Talia Shire in "The Godfather: Part II."
Shire additionally appeared in “The Godfather: Half II.”
CBS through Getty Photos

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post