Adams decries homeless shelter failings exposed by Post: ‘We have to do better’

Mayor Eric Adams decried as “unacceptable” the security woes of the Massive Apple’s homeless shelter system and its failure to make on-site psychological well being providers broadly obtainable, promising to personally conduct shock inspections at services.

The mayor’s remarks Thursday got here in response to a collection of articles in The Publish this week that highlighted the shoddy circumstances and lack of simply accessible therapy and remedy at many services, with some shelter residents even telling reporters they wished they'd remained on the streets.

“I’m going to go to a few of these websites,” Adams instructed reporters throughout a press convention after an unrelated occasion within the Bronx. “I’m going to do some pop-up visits. Unacceptable and we now have to do higher.”

“I don’t need folks sleeping on the facet of the roads. As I drove up right here, I noticed folks having encampments on the facet of the street,” Hizzoner added. “That’s an indictment. We now have to do higher.”

Mayor Eric Adams
Mayor Eric Adams mentioned the shelter system woes uncovered by The Publish are “unacceptable.”
Matthew McDermott
Maria Lopez and Norma Torres, residents of the Harmonia homeless shelter.
Maria Lopez and Norma Torres, residents of the Harmonia homeless shelter.
Matthew McDermott
The Atlantic Armory Shelter in Brooklyn.
The Atlantic Armory Shelter in Brooklyn.
Daniel McKnight

The mayor’s remarks come hours after one of the crucial highly effective lawmakers on the Metropolis Council, Majority Chief Keith Powers (D-Manhattan), additionally promised further oversight for metropolis shelters as he condemned the circumstances discovered by The Publish.

“We should always by no means have people take into account the streets or subway as higher possibility than a metropolis shelter,” Powers tweeted late Wednesday. “It’s time that we take a severe take a look at increasing oversight of our shelters to handle the inhumane circumstances within them.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post