Braxton Berrios eager return to Jets, Zach Wilson with new contract

Braxton Berrios tried to keep away from fascinated with his impending free company over the previous couple of months. However over the previous few days, that grew to become not possible.

Berrios may breathe a sigh of reduction Monday afternoon when he and the Jets reached an settlement on a two-year, $12 million contract with $7 million assured. Berrios formally signed the deal on Tuesday.

“Clearly, the previous couple of days it’s sort of been all I may take into consideration,” Berrios mentioned in a Zoom name with reporters on Tuesday. “I’m extraordinarily glad that it’s right here. I’m extraordinarily glad that this entire course of is over and I can get again to specializing in soccer, what I ought to be specializing in proper now.”

The broad receiver/kick returner had a breakout season in 2021. He was named first-team All-Professional as a returner after main the league in kick return common. He additionally discovered a job on offense, clicking with rookie quarterback Zach Wilson. Berrios completed with 46 catches for 431 yards and 4 complete touchdowns (two speeding) regardless of beginning just one recreation.

Berrios mentioned he heard from Wilson shortly after he reached a deal.

Braxton Berrios of the Jets
Braxton Berrios was an All-Professional as a kick returner for the Jets final season.
AP

“He was one of many first individuals who reached out,” Berrios mentioned. “He was glad. He was ecstatic. I used to be the identical. We’re actually trying ahead to selecting up the place we left off on the finish of final 12 months.”

Berrios mentioned the plan is for Wilson to come back to South Florida, the place Berrios and different Jets stay, to have some casual exercises within the coming weeks. The workforce’s official offseason program doesn't start till subsequent month.

Berrios, 26, grew to become a Jet in 2019 when the workforce claimed him off waivers from the Patriots. Three years later, he now has a multimillion-dollar contract. Berrios mentioned he all the time needed to stick with the Jets and advised agent Drew Rosenhaus to not earn cash the one think about free company.

“We had plenty of conversations over the previous couple of months, clearly,” Berrios mentioned. “Our final one was simply that, I've an incredible rapport right here. I've an incredible factor right here with everyone within the constructing and on the sphere, as nicely. I advised him I didn’t need to chase each penny. I wasn’t attempting to public sale off to the very best bidder on the finish of the day. This was snug. This was an incredible vacation spot for me. I used to be clear about that via this entire course of to him and clearly to the media as nicely. I’m so glad that I’m right here.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post