Rory McIlroy feeling ‘less pressure’ to claim first Masters, Grand Slam

AUGUSTA, Ga. — The evolution of 32-year-old Rory McIlroy and his roller-coaster Masters profession goes like this:

  • When he first hit the scene at Augusta as a hotshot 18-year-old in 2009, he was so gifted with a recreation so completely suited to the golf course that he was nearly anticipated to win immediately regardless of his youth.
  •  On the 2011 Masters, nothing appeared to trouble him as he spent carefree evenings between rounds taking part in soccer within the driveway of his rental residence along with his greatest mates. Then he blew a four-shot final-round lead en path to a shocking Sunday 80 and cried after it was over.
  •  In 2018, a four-time main winner by then, he didn't chase down his Ryder Cup rival Patrick Reed within the remaining spherical, ending with a Sunday 74 that left him disillusioned.
  •  Since 2014, with a U.S. Open, British Open and two PGA Championships already inked onto this résumé, McIlroy has wanted solely a Masters inexperienced jacket added to his closet to grow to be solely the sixth participant within the historical past of the sport to realize a profession grand slam.

He enters this week’s Masters, which begins Thursday, 0-for-7 in pursuit of the slam.

But McIlroy, a father now, stated the factor he was most wanting ahead to this week was taking part in in Wednesday’s annual Par-3 Contest along with his younger daughter, Poppy, rolling round within the grass.

Masters
Rory McIlroy talks with Tiger Woods
AP

“It’s humorous, whenever you don’t have kids, the Par-3 looks like a little bit of an afterthought, after which as soon as youngsters arrive it kind of turns into the spotlight of the week in a method,’’ McIlroy stated Tuesday. “I’m wanting ahead to it. It is going to be enjoyable to get on the market and watch her run round.’’

When McIlroy was launched by the Augusta Nationwide interview room moderator as taking part in in his 14th Masters, he turned a contact wistful.

“It’s superb: I feel again to my first look right here in 2009, after which that is my 14th and simply how shortly the time goes and the kind of evolution that life takes on and the locations that you simply discovered your self,’’ he stated.

McIlroy stays purposefully related. He’s ranked No. 9 on this planet and has a win this 12 months and 5 wins since 2019, together with the ’19 Gamers Championship. It’s simply that he’s been caught on these 4 main championships since 2014, which is as curious as it's bothersome.

McIlroy’s resilience ought to be famous: After that Masters meltdown in 2011, he went on to win the U.S. Open and PGA Championship that 12 months.

Now he insisted that he feels “much less strain’’ to finish the slam than he did in his earlier seven tries at Augusta.

Masters
Rory McIlroy
Getty Photographs

“I’m perhaps at a distinct stage of my life the place again then golf was every little thing,’’ McIlroy stated. “Clearly, it’s nonetheless very, essential, however perhaps again then I'd assume that … I don’t know if I'd really feel like I used to be fulfilled if I didn’t win [the slam], nevertheless it’s much less strain.

“I do know if I play properly, I’ll give myself probabilities to win this golf match.’’

Curiously, his greatest end in pursuit of finishing the slam was in 2015, his first strive, which led to a fourth-place end behind winner Jordan Spieth.

“Jordan performed splendidly that week,’’ he recalled. “I performed properly, perhaps not in addition to I might, however I performed just about as much as my potential, and it simply wasn’t adequate that week.’’

Masters
Rory McIlroy walks the course with Seamus Energy.
Getty Photographs

Possibly, with the strain abated some, that is the week McIlroy’s stuff round Augusta Nationwide will lastly be adequate. A McIlroy Masters victory would rank proper up there with one of the best potential tales to emerge this week — exterior of Tiger Woods by some means successful a sixth inexperienced jacket on his beforehand shattered proper leg.

McIlroy is a participant you root for, not solely as a result of his recreation is gorgeous to look at, however as a result of he’s an individual who seemingly does all the suitable issues, somebody who’s considerate, partaking, humble and actual.

“I’ve all the time stated time is on my aspect, and I’ll hold saying that till it isn’t, each time that's,’’ he stated. “I’m 32 years previous with a ton of expertise. I nonetheless really feel younger. I’m only some years older than these [young] guys. I’ve bought a couple of extra grey hairs than I used to, however I’m nonetheless younger at coronary heart.’’

Nonetheless …

“Time does go so shortly, and you consider the place does the time go — 14 years being right here and every little thing that’s occurred in these 14 years,’’ he stated. “However … I’ve had fantastic occasions right here and fantastic reminiscences and looking out ahead to creating even higher reminiscences with my household and on the Par-3.’’

Or a good higher reminiscence with the inexperienced jacket slipped over his shoulders by defending champion Hideki Matsuyama early Sunday night within the Butler Cabin.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post