Tennis great Pam Shriver: I had ‘damaging’ relationship with coach

LONDON — Former skilled tennis participant Pam Shriver, now a tv commentator for ESPN and the BBC, says that she “had an inappropriate and damaging relationship with my a lot older coach” that started when she was 17 and he was 50.

In a first-person account revealed Wednesday by British newspaper the Telegraph, Shriver describes a “painful and emotional journey” that included what she writes was a relationship with coach Don Sweet that lasted slightly greater than 5 years.

Sweet died in 2020.

Pam Shriver (second from right) at Indian Wells in March 2022.
Pam Shriver (second from proper) at Indian Wells in March 2022.
Getty Photos
Pam Shriver at the 1983 US Open.
Pam Shriver on the 1983 US Open.
Getty Photos

“I nonetheless have conflicted emotions about Don. Sure, he and I turned concerned in an extended and inappropriate affair. Sure, he was dishonest on his spouse. However there was rather a lot about him that was sincere and genuine. And I beloved him,” she says. “Even so, he was the grown-up right here. He ought to have been the reliable grownup.”

Shriver, who's now 59, turned professional in 1979, a 12 months after she made it to the US Open singles remaining at age 16. She beat Martina Navratilova within the semifinals earlier than shedding the title match to Chris Evert.

Shriver, who's from Maryland, would later crew with Navratilova to win 21 Grand Slam trophies in ladies’s doubles.

Shriver and Candy at the Australian Indoor Classic in 1982.
Shriver and Sweet on the Australian Indoor Traditional in 1982.
Fairfax Media through Getty Photos
Pam Shriver at Wimbledon in 1991.
Pam Shriver at Wimbledon in 1991.
Getty Photos

In Wednesday’s piece, Shriver writes her “most important motivation is to let folks know this nonetheless goes on — rather a lot. I imagine abusive teaching relationships are alarmingly frequent in sport as an entire. My specific experience, although, is in tennis, the place I've witnessed dozens of situations in my four-and-a-bit a long time as a participant and commentator.”

“Each time I hear a few participant who's relationship their coach, or I see a male physio engaged on a feminine physique within the fitness center, it units my alarm bells ringing,” she says.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post