Tiger Woods says he will play in this week’s Masters

Woods is planning the main comeback a 12 months after he almost misplaced his proper leg from accidents in a automotive crash.

Tiger Woods practicing
Tiger Woods says he'll make a last-minute resolution whether or not to play within the Masters golf match, which begins April 7 in america [Matt Slocum/AP]

Golfing champion Tiger Woods has stated that he'll play on this week’s Masters Event and feels he can win the occasion for a sixth time in his highly-anticipated return to competitors, following a automotive crash final 12 months that just about resulted in medical doctors amputating his proper leg.

The five-time champion at Augusta Nationwide made the announcement Tuesday morning. He'll play 9 extra apply holes on Wednesday on the course in Georgia in america earlier than making a last resolution, however stated he could be doing so with the intention of enjoying Thursday.

“As of proper now I really feel like I’m going to play,” Woods stated throughout his pre-tournament information convention.

Tiger Woods
If Woods decides to play it will likely be the primary time since November 2020, and comes 13 months after he suffered critical leg accidents in a automotive crash [Mike Segar/Reuters]

 

The choice by the 46-year-old Woods, who isn't any stranger to staging exceptional comebacks, comes after he arrived at Augusta Nationwide on Sunday, when he stated he could be a game-time resolution for the April 7-10 Masters.

“It’s nice to be again,” Woods stated.

The 15-time main champion has not competed in a Skilled Golfers’ Affiliation of America (PGA) tour for the reason that November 2020 Masters and forged doubt on his skilled golfing future after struggling critical leg accidents.

On February 23, 2021 he crashed his SUV over a median on a suburban coastal highway in Los Angeles and down the aspect of a hill.

Woods’ accidents from that crash had been so extreme that medical doctors thought of proper leg amputation, earlier than reassembling the limb by putting a rod within the tibia and utilizing screws and pins to stabilise extra accidents within the ankle and foot.

“It’s been a tricky, robust 12 months … however right here we're,” Woods stated.

Whereas fellow golfers have stated Woods’s swing is trying good, the large query can be how his surgically reconstructed leg will maintain up on the undulating Augusta Nationwide format, which is likely one of the extra taxing walks on the PGA Tour.

“My private trainers and surgeons all stated I might do that once more. It’s as much as me to endure the ache … I don’t know what number of extra years I can do that,” stated Woods.

Woods isn't any stranger to enjoying via ache, one thing he famously proved on the 2008 US Open, the place he prevailed in an exhilarating playoff at Torrey Pines whereas competing on what was basically a damaged leg.

Woods capped one of the exceptional comebacks in skilled sport when, on the age of 43, he gained the Masters in 2019 after enduring years of surgical procedure and private issues that had satisfied many the most effective golfer of his era was completed.

“I really like competing,” Woods stated. “I really feel like if I can nonetheless compete on the highest degree, I’m going to. And if I really feel like I can nonetheless win, I’m going to play. But when I really feel like I can’t, then you definitely gained’t see me out right here.”

Woods has made 23 profession begins within the Masters, the place he has 14 top-10 finishes and has missed only one minimize, as an newbie in 1996.

Solely Jack Nicklaus has gained extra Masters titles (six) and extra majors (18) than Woods.

When requested if he might win the Masters once more this week, Woods was very clear.

“I do,” stated Woods. “I can hit it simply fantastic. I don’t have any qualms about what I can do bodily from a golf standpoint. It’s now, strolling is the exhausting half.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post