Phil Mickelson as popular as ever at US Open: ‘Monster ovation’

BROOKLINE, Mass. — If anybody has been questioning how Phil Mickelson has been handled by the followers this week on the U.S. Open regardless of being painted as a villain within the sport on account of his taking part in for the LIV Golf Invitational Sequence, Keegan Bradley answered the query.

“I used to be placing on the primary tee [Tuesday] and Phil was on the brink of tee off, and he acquired a monster ovation,’’ Bradley stated Wednesday, “Individuals [were] cheering. Phil was giving the thumbs as much as everyone.

“I feel he's going to be simply fantastic. It seemed like the identical Phil Mickelson with the gang as I’ve all the time heard.’’

Mickelson has been seen signing autographs all week at The Nation Membership, seemingly as well-liked as ever.

A smiling Phil Mickelson signs autographs for fans during a U.S. Open practice round.
A smiling Phil Mickelson indicators autographs for followers throughout a U.S. Open observe spherical.
Getty Pictures

Rory McIlroy has his common caddie — Harry Diamond — again. Diamond missed the Canadian Open final week, which McIlroy gained, to be together with his spouse, who was giving start. Niall O’Connor, a former Irish Rugby star and a good friend of McIlroy’s, subbed for Diamond. O’Connor had beforehand caddied for McIlroy on the 2019 DP World Championship in Dubai.

“Niall and [my] run has come to an finish at this level,’’ McIlroy stated. “Fairly good file. Had a fourth in Dubai and a primary in Canada. If I ever want somebody to leap in for Harry, I’ve acquired a fairly good substitute there.’’

McIlroy, within the midst of being requested various query about LIV Golf, was requested on Zoom from a teen for Sports activities Illustrated concerning the significance of the well-known 1913 U.S. Open win at Brookline by former caddie Francis Ouimet, given McIlroy’s relationship together with his caddie.

“Humorous that one of the best query comes from a child,’’ McIlroy joked. “This course and the historical past of Francis Ouimet, 1913, that’s what’s so good about golf is the historical past and the custom and these tales. The truth that he grew up simply off the seventeenth gap right here and we’re nonetheless speaking about it to at the present time over 100 years on, that’s so cool. That’s the beauty of this sport.’’


Justin Thomas, who grew up in Kentucky, is a Pink Sox fan.

“My uncle is from up this space, and he’s a giant Pink Sox fan, and it simply was type of one thing that it was no birthday or Christmas reward that was for me from him was something however Pink Sox,’’ Thomas stated “I had a number of jerseys, T-shirts, a number of hats, a number of blankets.’’

His favourite gamers?

“Then my first Pink Sox jersey was a David Ortiz jersey,’’ he stated. “[My uncle] took me to a Yankees-Pink Sox sport at Fenway for my birthday one 12 months, which was actually cool. I feel I used to be most likely 12. Went to a Yankees-Pink Sox sport at previous Yankee Stadium. I bear in mind as a result of I had my Nomar [Garciaparra] jersey on, and I used to be getting yelled at and stubborn at and given the finger and I used to be 9 years previous. That was my first introduction to the Yankees-Pink Sox rivalry.’’


Brooks Koepka lately acquired married and there have been footage throughout Instagram. Collin Morikawa stated he’s getting married quickly, however is avoiding all publicity.

“I positively know once we’re getting married, however I’m not going to share it,’’ Morikawa stated. “We wish to preserve issues non-public. I feel that’s who we're. I’m positive individuals will discover out about it, however by no means is our marriage ceremony going to be as massive as [Koepka’s]. I feel theirs had been fairly spectacular.’’


If there's a playoff Sunday, it is going to be a two-hole combination performed on the primary advert 18th holes. If it’s nonetheless tied after that, it'll go to sudden demise.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post