Mets’ Pete Alonso, Jeff McNeil, Edwin Diaz, Starling Marte named MLB All-Stars

The primary-place Mets have landed 4 gamers on the Nationwide League All-Star staff, their most representatives since additionally they despatched that many gamers in 2016.

MLB RBI chief Pete Alonso, nearer Edwin Diaz, second baseman Jeff McNeil and outfielder Starling Marte had been named Sunday as reserves to the NL squad for the July 19 All-Star Recreation at Dodger Stadium, with the likelihood one or two others might be added later as harm replacements.

“It means loads. It’s one thing that I actually take satisfaction in,” Alonso mentioned after the Mets’ 2-0 loss to the Marlins. “I’m actually completely happy that I used to be capable of play my means into the sport. Laborious work pays off and I’m actually completely happy I get to characterize my staff and town of New York in LA.”

Alonso, the two-time defending champion within the Residence Run Derby, nonetheless hasn’t confirmed whether or not he plans to take part once more within the occasion the night time earlier than the Midsummer Traditional.

“I by no means mentioned I used to be gonna do the derby but, however I’m excited for the All-Star Recreation. I’m actually stoked,” Alonso mentioned. “We have now top-of-the-line data in baseball and our staff is super-talented. So we must always have that many guys.”

McNeil, who didn’t accompany the Mets to Atlanta to start out his paternity depart for the beginning of his first baby, started the day ranked third within the league in batting common (now .311) with 4 homers and 35 RBIs. He beforehand was named an All-Star in 2019 — when he completed with a .318 batting common and a .916 OPS — however McNeil slumped to a slash line of .251/.319/.360 (.679 OPS) in an injury-plagued 2021 marketing campaign.

Pete Alonso (20) and Starling Marte (6) of the Mets have been named MLB All-Stars.
Pete Alonso (20) and Starling Marte (6) of the Mets have been named MLB All-Stars.
Michelle Farsi

“Final 12 months was a tricky 12 months for me, so simply having the ability to exit and work laborious within the offseason and to type of have a bounce-back season and to be acknowledged for that's fairly particular to me,” mentioned McNeil, who hails from Nipomo, Calif. “It provides me a variety of confidence. It exhibits that I may be top-of-the-line gamers within the massive leagues and take that going ahead and put together each single day and doing properly. It does give me a variety of confidence that I can play with one of the best.

“That is gonna be a reasonably particular week and a half. We’re having our first baby within the subsequent few days, and the newborn’s first sport could be the All-Star Recreation on the stadium I at all times went to rising up.”

Marte, who sat out Sunday’s sport with a groin difficulty, additionally has posted a constant first season with the Mets, batting .292 with 9 homers and 40 RBIs for his second profession All-Star nod (additionally in 2016 with the Pirates).

Mets second baseman Jeff McNeil has made the NL All-Star team.
Mets second baseman Jeff McNeil has made the NL All-Star staff.
AP
Mets closer Edwin Diaz has been named an MLB All-Star.
Mets nearer Edwin Diaz has been named an MLB All-Star.
Charles Wenzelberg / New York Publish

“It was an emotional second, one thing me and my household had been talking of for a few days,” Marte mentioned by way of a translator. “I instantly modified my plans for the break.”

Diaz additionally was named an All-Star for the second time in his profession, however his first in 4 seasons with the Mets following a 2018 commerce from Seattle. He posted a 5.59 ERA with seven blown saves for the Mets in 2019, however he’s recorded 18 saves with a 1.78 ERA and 70 strikeouts in 35 ¹/₃ innings in 36 appearances this season.

“It means loads as a result of my Mets profession didn’t begin the way in which I wished. However I’ve been capable of get again on monitor and this 12 months I made the All-Star staff. I’m actually completely happy,” Diaz mentioned. “I believe with this staff, after I get into the sport and get the large outs I show to them that’s the man the Mets traded for.

“I hope to face the three finest hitters within the American League. Possibly I can face [Aaron] Decide. Who else made it? [Yordan]Alvarez, [Shohei] Ohtani? That will be superior.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post