Denzel Mims airs his Jets playing time frustrations: ‘Made their mind up’

Jets extensive receiver Denzel Mims stays pissed off together with his function on the staff.

Mims, who requested a commerce final week, spoke to reporters Wednesday and mentioned he believes the coaches received’t play him with the starters no matter what he does.

“I really feel like they've made their thoughts up on that, truthfully,” mentioned Mims, a 2020 second-round decide. “However I really feel like I can change their thoughts on that. I really feel like I've been doing that. Their thoughts is just about made up, although.”

Mims has been pissed off for a yr now, as he has struggled to achieve floor with Robert Saleh’s teaching workers. Saleh and offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur praised Mims for the form he reported in for the offseason program and coaching camp, however he nonetheless has constantly been with the second and third groups in apply and the preseason video games.

Mims performed his finest recreation of the preseason Sunday in opposition to the Giants, when he had seven catches for 102 yards and a landing.

Mims
Jets receiver Denzel Mims speak to reporters on Wednesday.
Noah Okay. Murray

“I really feel like I already just about [proved myself] from OTAs till now,” Mims mentioned. “They’re fairly set on who they need. I’m on the 53-man roster, so I really feel like that’s sort of a plus. I’m going to attempt to proceed to do what I can to be No. 1.”

Common supervisor Joe Douglas mentioned the staff fielded commerce calls on Mims, however nothing materialized that he thought-about “the appropriate worth of Denzel’s expertise and talent.” A supply mentioned Douglas was looking for a fourth- or fifth-round decide for Mims. Nobody was prepared to provide that up.

Now the Jets have an sad participant on their fingers.

Jets
Denzel Mims
Invoice Kostroun

“I wouldn’t say he desires to be some other place,” Douglas mentioned. “He desires to play. He desires to begin. Denzel’s very assured. He’s voiced that, that he feels he needs to be a starter. Finally, we wish a staff full of fellows that really feel like they need to be the No. 1 man. Denzel loves the Jets. Denzel’s an ideal individual, a high-level competitor. It wasn’t him eager to be some other place. It’s him eager to play extra.”

Mims mentioned it's robust to show that you simply belong with the starters whenever you don’t get to play with them. He additionally mentioned he's prepared to play particular groups to get on the sector.

“I don’t don't have any drawback with taking part in particular groups, however I really feel like I’m a beginning receiver,” Mims mentioned. “I do really feel like that.“

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post