Meet Matteo Berrettini, the model tennis player bringing his good looks to New York

It was love at first sight.

When Matteo Berrettini competes on the US Open Tennis Championships in Flushing on Monday, there could also be just a few new followers making a racquet within the stands.

The 26-year-old, 6’5″ Italian powerhouse, who fashions for Hugo Boss, is serving up some critical heartache — and his admirers aren’t shy about placing the ball in his court docket.

“Somebody assist me out how do I begin watching tennis for my new husband Matteo Berrettini,” one smitten fan tweeted.

“I’ve by no means watched tennis a day in my life however would possibly begin watching now as a result of Matteo Berrettini,” tweeted Magge Chrstine.

However Berrettini isn’t stringing anybody alongside.

“I don’t actually know what to say about that,” he instructed The Submit. “Hopefully, they begin liking my look, I assume, after which they finally just like the tennis as effectively.”

Matteo Berrettini kisses the trophy after winning the Men's Singles Final at Wimbledon.
Matteo Berrettini kisses the trophy after successful The Queen’s Membership Males’s Singles Remaining.
Getty Pictures
Berrettini poses within the Queen’s Membership locker room.
Getty Pictures

The Roman native made historical past as the primary Italian male to make it to the quarterfinals of all 4 Grand Slam occasions.

His runway profession took flight when a Hugo Boss exec noticed him being interviewed after dropping at Wimbledon in 2021.

“I feel one of many the explanation why they selected me can also be my character. I hope it's, that’s what they instructed me,” he stated. “So I’m glad this factor is popping out once I play.”

Berrettini's modeling career for Hugo Boss has also taken off.
Berrettini’s modeling profession for Hugo Boss has additionally taken off.

Though Berrettini, who's No. 15 within the Pepperstone ATP Rankings, by no means thought-about modeling as a aspect hustle, he stated there was one one that was at all times did — his grandmother, Lucia.

“However I assumed she was saying it extra as a result of you already know, I’m her grandkid, so to your grandma, you're at all times probably the most lovely particular person on the planet,” he stated.

Though Lucia can’t journey a lot, her pals take pictures of her grandson on billboards around the globe and he or she sends these to him.

“To start with it was bizarre, however now it’s humorous,” he stated.

He was unaware of the 10″x9″ billboard together with his picture within the Time Warner Middle. He gained’t get the prospect to see it for himself, he stated, “I’m gonna ship my mother to take an image.”

However he did have time for pizza.

Berrettini is set to take the court at the US Open on Monday.
Berrettini is about to take the court docket on the US Open on Monday.
Stefano Giovannini

On this New York journey, Berrettini made positive to cease and eat at Ribalta on East twelfth. “A very good pal of mine is pals with the proprietor and he introduced me there,” he stated. “And I've to say, the pizza was actually good … I really feel like in New York, it’s not that straightforward to search out good Italian meals, however whenever you discover it, it seems like Italy.”

His father, Luca and mom, Claudia can be on the USTA Billie Jean King Nationwide Tennis Middle cheering him on as they usually do. “After they can, they at all times come to huge tournaments particularly,” he stated.

The achieved athlete, who in 2021 was the primary Italian to play within the Wimbledon singles finals, falling 4 units to Novak Djokovic, made headlines on the fourth spherical of the Open final 12 months for his kindness on the court docket.

Berrettini pictured pictured during a match in Montreal this spring.
Berrettini pictured pictured throughout a match in Montreal this spring.
USA TODAY Sports activities

When he defeated Germany’s Oscar Otte — who suffered a wrist harm and fell over the web throughout the match — he gestured for the gang to applaud Otte as a substitute of him.

“I attempt to be as truthful as attainable, it’s true that it’s your opponent, however that doesn’t imply he can’t get injured or he’s gonna fall and I’m not gonna assist him,” he stated.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post