Trina McGee revisits ‘Boy Meets World’ co-star Will Friedle’s ‘racist’ Aunt Jemima joke

Twenty-two years in the past, on the “Boy Meets World” set, Will Friedle likened his black co-star Trina McGee to Aunt Jemima.

The actor, who performed Eric Matthews, apologized to McGee in a prolonged electronic mail just a few years again, however the actress has lastly addressed the “racist” incident with him publicly.

McGee, 53, joined “Boy Meets World” alums Danielle Fishel, Rider Sturdy and Friedle in an episode of their “Pod Meets World” podcast the place the solid additional mentioned the comment.

The actress, who performed Angela Moore, shortly confronted Friedle, 46, concerning the remark when it occurred — a transfer the actor helped him perceive the implications of racial stereotypes.

“In my head, I hooked up no cultural significance to that in any respect,” Friedle recalled in the course of the Sept. 12 episode of the podcast. “I noticed an individual who I believed was my buddy however didn’t know all that nicely carrying an enormous, purple hat.”

“You and I nonetheless hadn’t labored collectively a ton, however in my head you have been part of the solid, so which means I’m gonna make enjoyable of you,” he stated to McGee. “So I believed ‘Gonna make enjoyable of her purple hat.’ That’s so far as my dumb f–king privileged thoughts noticed it.

Trina McGee played Angela Moore on the show.
Trina McGee performed Angela Moore on the present.
Getty Pictures

“Proper earlier than I walked on in my view, I walked by and went ‘love your syrup’ and walked onto the set, pondering ‘Growth, zing, simply obtained her for her hat,'” Friedle stated. “I heard Ryder laughing. We completed the scene and also you got here as much as me–” 

“Oh, I used to be pissed,” McGee interjected.

“You have been like, ‘That was not OK.’ And I used to be like, ‘What?'” Friedle stated. “I had no thought what you have been speaking about. You went, ‘Referring to me as Aunt Jemima.’ I used to be like, ‘I assumed that was such as you calling me the Jolly Inexperienced Big.’ And also you’re like, ‘No. No that’s not the identical factor in any respect.’ You defined to me — you by no means use the time as an excuse, however within the mid-’90s, I had no thought the cultural significance of the Aunt Jemima character.”

Will Friedle
Will Friedle performed Eric Matthews on “Boy Meets World.”
The Walt Disney Firm through Gett
The cast of "Boy Meets World" on July 31, 1998.
The solid of “Boy Meets World” on July 31, 1998.
Disney Common Leisure Con

Friedle continued: “I used to be mortified, as a result of the very last thing you wish to suppose is you’re a part of the issue — like, your ignorance is a part of the issue. In my head, I used to be going, ‘I made enjoyable of her due to her hat, that’s all I used to be making an attempt to do. What simply occurred?’ And I bear in mind you very patiently explaining to me why I used to be an fool, and we hugged and walked away. However I used to be shaken … You walked away and I bear in mind actually shaking.”

From that time on, Friedle stated their change modified his life.

He stated: “That second was the second I used to be like, ‘You may’t simply say stuff. You may’t simply throw issues on the market since you suppose it’s humorous and stroll away. You might be hurting individuals. You might legitimately be hurting individuals since you suppose it’s humorous.'”

McGee stated she additionally spoke concerning the incident with individuals afterward, including, “I simply stored telling family and friends the story they usually have been like, ‘No, he doesn’t sound racist, he simply sounds actually dumb.’ That was the suggestions I stored getting.”

"Boy Meets World" cast
(Left to proper) Rider Sturdy, Danielle Fishel, Trina McGee and Ben Savage in an episode of “Boy Meets World.”
ABC

She continued: “That is the factor, Will. You turn into a part of the difficulty these days when it's a must to transfer in areas with individuals of shade and also you don’t actually need to by proper, however it might behoove you to be taught as a lot about them as you may. You didn’t need to again then, nor have been you advised to, nor would it not have an effect on your verify, nothing.”

Friedle and McGee had reconciled earlier than the podcast, as have McGee and Fishel — who McGee beforehand stated was “impolite, chilly and distant” when she guest-starred on “Lady Meets World” in 2015.

“Pod Meets World” is obtainable to take heed to wherever you get your podcasts.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post