There was conviction in his voice, confidence that this workforce has the items to interrupt via.
A perception that hasn’t been there right now every of his first three seasons. Much less speak about St. John’s needing time to jell and develop cohesion, extra discuss centered round what it has already exhibited.
Mike Anderson firmly believes he has a contender this season. On Thursday, he set expectations together with his optimistic tone.
“[This is] most likely essentially the most expertise that I’ve had since I’ve been right here, extra guys that match what we’re doing,” the St. John’s coach stated on media day inside Carnesecca Area. “This workforce right here has all of the elements of a few of the greatest groups I’ve had.
“I’m excited by this workforce. I’m trying ahead to this workforce going out and displaying not solely this college, however this metropolis — the entire nation — what St. John’s is all about.”
Anderson known as his three-man freshman class of AJ Storr, Kolby King and Mohamed Keita “underrated.” He praised the maturity of juniors Posh Alexander and Dylan Addae-Wusu. He raved about having as much as eight gamers he sees as succesful starters, repeatedly spoke of the consolation of getting eight returning gamers and lauded his program’s depth that could be a necessity within the Johnnies’ uptempo, urgent type.

Clearly, Anderson is keen on this workforce, that the combo of upperclassmen and high quality newcomers could lead on the Johnnies to the NCAA Event for the time since his arrival in 2019.
“That’s our expectation, for positive,” heart Joel Soriano stated. “We've got the expertise this yr. We had the expertise once I was right here final yr.”
But it surely didn’t equate into outcomes, regardless of excessive expectations that weren’t met. The circumstances have been very totally different. A yr in the past, St. John’s had solely three returning contributors. It didn’t have a summer time exhibition tour — and the ten practices that accompany it — to develop chemistry. This workforce was certainly one of few applications within the nation to not lose a single participant to the switch portal, although prime scorers Julian Champagnie and Aaron Wheeler leaving for the skilled ranks have been important departures. Anderson’s employees added two of the highest transfers within the nation in Illinois level guard Andre Curbelo and DePaul wing David Jones as projected difference-makers.
“This yr we have now a particular group,” Alexander stated.
Final winter, St. John’s couldn’t end shut video games, shedding 11 contests by single digits. The ultimate one, a one-point heartbreaker within the Large East Event quarterfinals to eventual-champion Villanova, was a bitter capsule to swallow. However Anderson hopes all these slender defeats will serve his workforce properly this season.
“All of us, we all know what we need to do,” Soriano stated. “We all know that feeling we had final yr, and we don’t need to really feel it once more.”
Anderson is true there together with his gamers. COVID-19 ended his first season at halftime of the Large East Event quarterfinals. St. John’s completed fourth within the league the next yr, however stubbed its toe late within the season and fell wanting the NCAA Event. Final yr’s workforce couldn’t shut out video games.
“Belief me, I prefer to win, and I need to win on the highest stage,” Anderson stated. “Yearly I’ve been right here has bothered me.”
Perhaps this winter shall be totally different. Anderson actually sees the potential for it to be.
Post a Comment