Posh Alexander looking to be bigger offensive force for St. John’s

Posh Alexander made a assure: He’s not going to be afraid of letting it fly this 12 months.

Not if he misses a number of photographs. Not if the ball doesn’t fall in a sure recreation. St. John’s junior is aware of it is a large 12 months for him, and he'll enter it along with his confidence hovering.

“I simply can’t wait to point out all people how I shoot this 12 months,” Alexander stated on Thursday throughout St. John’s media day.

He spent all the offseason making ready for it, engaged on his shot like by no means earlier than, dedicating his summer time to enhancing the most important weak spot in his recreation. The 6-foot Brooklyn native took the Large East by storm as a freshman, named the league’s Freshman of the Yr and co-Defensive Participant of the Yr. He put up sturdy numbers as a sophomore, averaging 13.8 factors, 5.5 assists and a couple of.3 steals, however he didn’t take the leap some anticipated. His 3-point shot fell to 21.7 p.c from 29.9 p.c, making it far simpler to defend him.

Posh Alexander
Posh Alexander
Robert Sabo

That didn’t sit effectively with the dogged defender. And with Julian Champagnie’s departure to the NBA, Alexander knew the highlight can be on him. He needed to make a change, and so he started spending further time within the gymnasium, figuring out a number of instances a day, visiting his outdated highschool, Our Saviour Lutheran, to work on his jumper. He's now at 198 kilos, down from 215 as just lately as Might.

“My mindset was quite a bit totally different,” he stated. “I’m maturing, I’m seeing life otherwise. I needed to work on getting in one of the best form I might. … I’m attempting to take it to a different step and be one of the best model of myself. Final 12 months motivated me quite a bit. I really feel like I've much more to show this 12 months.”

There have been a number of causes for his taking pictures struggles. Alexander handled varied leg illnesses and was usually restricted or held out of shape, slicing down on his reps. With out one other true level guard on the roster, he was overburdened with further duty. This 12 months, that shall be lessened following the addition of Illinois switch Andre Curbelo.

“I simply assume the make-up of this crew permits him to do extra issues,” coach Mike Anderson stated.

Alexander is happy for the approaching season, repeatedly saying he's honored to share a backcourt with Curbelo, desperate to showcase his improved jumper and conditioning. For St. John’s to succeed in the NCAA Event, Alexander must prepared the ground.

“I really feel like personally I’m able to have an enormous 12 months,” he stated, “and I believe this crew could have an enormous 12 months.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post