Baker Mayfield speaks out after Panthers’ decision to start Sam Darnold

The Carolina Panthers will once more make a quarterback change, saying this week that Sam Darnold will begin on Sunday in opposition to the Denver Broncos. 

Darnold would be the third totally different quarterback in as many weeks to begin beneath heart for the Panthers, after Baker Mayfield getting the beginning in Week 11 in opposition to the Baltimore Ravens.

PJ Walker began at QB in Weeks 6-10, going 2-3 earlier than struggling an ankle damage. 

Mayfield, who beat out Darnold in coaching camp after being acquired in an offseason commerce with the Cleveland Browns, informed reporters on Wednesday that his future in Carolina is murky. 

“There’s numerous issues up within the air for the long run right here, so I don’t actually know,’’ Mayfield stated. “I’m doing what I can, what I can management. I understand how my teammates really feel about me and the way I’ve dealt with issues right here. So, I can go away right here with my head held excessive and perceive that I did every little thing I might.’’

Mayfield began the primary 5 video games of the 2022 season for the Panthers, going 1-4 earlier than struggling a excessive ankle sprain, inflicting him to overlook a number of video games. 

Mayfield's first season in Carolina has been rocky.
Baker Mayfield stated that his future with the Panthers is unsure.
Getty Photographs

Towards the Ravens, Mayfield threw for simply 196 yards with no touchdowns, being picked off twice within the fourth quarter of the 13-3 loss. 

“It's a loopy 12 months,’’ Mayfield stated. “There’s numerous unusual issues occurring [at quarterback around the league]. . . . The quarterback room has just about dealt with it in one of the best ways potential, rolling with the punches. We’re simply doing what we’re informed.’’

Darnold missed the primary 10 weeks of the season with an ankle sprain of his personal after beginning in 11 video games final 12 months. 

1 of 3
Darnold was beat out by Mayfield during training camp.
Sam Darnold would be the Panthers’ third quarterback this season.
Getty Photographs
Walker led the Panthers 2-3 at QB.
PJ Walker began for Carolina earlier than struggling an damage.
Getty Photographs

Commercial

“I’m simply excited to play soccer,” Darnold stated, in line with The Charlotte Observer. “I’m excited to have the ability to go on the market and play with the blokes. The largest factor for me is taking part in constant, and taking what they offer me. I believe that’ll sort of be the story of the day on Sunday, and I’m excited to go on the market and do what I can to assist this group win.”

It has been a tumultuous season for the Panthers, who fired head coach Matt Rhule 5 video games into the common season. 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post