Rage Against the Machine’s Tim Commerford reveals cancer diagnosis

Rage In opposition to the Machine bassist Tim Commerford has been secretly battling prostate most cancers.

The 54-year-old rocker revealed his sickness in an interview with Spin printed on Monday. He stated he was recognized two months earlier than the band was set to embark on their reunion tour in July.

“I’ve been coping with some fairly severe s–t,” Commerford stated. “Proper earlier than I used to be about to go on tour with Rage, I had my prostate eliminated, and I've prostate most cancers.”

Solely his bandmates, shut associates and girlfriend knew about his well being points earlier than the interview, and Commerford stated he wasn’t even certain he needed to speak about it till one other legendary band impressed him.

“I used to be with my girlfriend and we had been watching the Rock and Roll Corridor of Fame ceremony on TV. Duran Duran was on and I used to be like, ‘Ah, f–ok, I used to be taught these songs once I was a child.’ I noticed them on stage and questioned, the place’s Andy Taylor and why have they got this different man in right here?! Then it was like, ‘Andy Taylor is affected by Stage 4 prostate most cancers and is unable to make it.’

“My life is type of like that,” he continued. “There are lots of people who've it. There are lots of people who're like, ‘The place do you go?’ You possibly can’t speak to a therapist. You possibly can solely actually speak to somebody who’s going by it.”

Commerford additionally added that whereas he’s taken satisfaction in being in form and taking good care of his physique, he defined: “I’ve been somebody that’s taken a whole lot of satisfaction in being in form and taking good care of myself. But it surely’s one thing the place both you’re both fortunate or not.”

Tim Commerford, Brad Wilk, and Zack de la Rocha perform at MSG.
Tim Commerford, Brad Wilk and Zack de la Rocha carry out at MSG.
Getty Photos

“I hope there’s one one that reads this and is like, ‘F–ok, I have to get checked out’ after they discover out about it,” he stated.

Tim Commerford of Rage Against the Machine performs at Madison Square Garden on August 8 in New York City.
Tim Commerford of Rage In opposition to the Machine performs at Madison Sq. Backyard on August 8 in New York Metropolis.
Getty Photos

Whereas he tries to maintain a constructive mindset about all of it, Commerford admitted that the sickness has been troublesome mentally.

“No matter it's, it makes me marvel if it’s taking place as a result of I've most cancers, and prostate most cancers is a really, very, very robust one as a result of it’s linked to your sexuality. It’s laborious to disconnect from that and whenever you’re pressured into that state of affairs, it’s a brutal psychological journey,” he stated.

Tim Commerford performs as part of Prophets of Rage live on stage at the O2 Forum Kentish Town on November 13, 2017, in London, England.
Tim Commerford performs as a part of Prophets of Rage stay on stage on the O2 Discussion board Kentish City on November 13, 2017, in London, England.
WireImage

However music is getting him by. Commerford has additionally been recording music for his different band, 7D7D.

“I’m making an attempt to get to the 100-song mark — I've some targets now,” he replied when requested about his constructive outlook. “Songwriting has grow to be a catharsis for me. Again to the unique query, how do I discover the time? That’s all I’ve obtained, is time.”

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post