I was kidnapped by my babysitter 51 years ago — and finally reunited with my family

One of many oldest lacking individual instances within the nation has lastly been solved after a half-century.

Melissa Highsmith was kidnapped in Fort Value, Tex., on Aug. 23, 1971, when she was simply 21 months previous.

Now, many years later, she has lastly reunited along with her household after an nameless tip and DNA testing solved the unimaginable 50-year thriller.

“It’s overwhelming, however on the similar time, it’s essentially the most great feeling on this planet,” Melissa advised CBS Information of the reunion on Thanksgiving.

“I’m simply elated, I can’t describe my emotions. I’m so blissful to see my daughter that I didn’t suppose I'd ever see once more,” her beginning mom, Alta Apantenco, advised WFAA.

On the time of Melissa’s disappearance, her mom had separated from her companion, Jeffrie Highsmith, and moved to Fort Value as a 21-year-old single mom.

Apantenco positioned an commercial within the native newspaper, determined for a babysitter to observe over her younger daughter as she started working as a waitress.

She employed a supposed sitter, Ruth Johnson, who picked up the 21-month-old child lady from the care of her mom’s roommate whereas Apantenco was at work. The roommate mentioned the lady who got here to get the toddler appeared “good” and “dressed to impress,” sporting white gloves, sun shades and a bonnet round her head, in line with the Nationwide Heart for Lacking and Exploited Kids (NCMEC).

Melissa with her parents Jefferie and Alta
Jeffrie Highsmith and Alta Apantenco had lately break up when the younger mom moved to Fort Value and posted an area advert seeking to rent a babysitter.
Jeff Highsmith

Nevertheless, she by no means returned with Melissa, nor may anybody attain her. Apantenco referred to as the authorities when her daughter wasn’t returned — and has been trying to find her ever since, with few leads or proof ever surfacing.

The National Center for Missing & Exploited Children poster for Melissa Highsmith
Child Melissa was picked up at some point by a girl claiming to run an area at-home daycare and was by no means returned.
Nationwide Heart for Lacking & Exploited Kids

Then, in September 2022, the NCMEC acquired an nameless tip of a possible sighting in Charleston, SC. The tipster claimed to have acknowledged the lady from NCMEC’s digitally age-progressed faces of their open instances.

Whereas the Highsmith household then traveled from Texas to Charleston in October to speak to locals in regards to the case themselves and unfold consciousness, the tip turned out to be a dead-end.

Nevertheless, Highsmith’s father Jeffrie took a 23AndMe DNA take a look at, which linked him to Melissa’s personal youngsters. A fast web search quickly introduced up her Fb web page, and Jeffrie and Apantenco’s different youngsters reached out to the 23AndMe connection and persuaded her to satisfy.

“I began crying … after 51 years, it’s so emotional,” Jeffrie advised CBS Information.

Melissa Highsmith baby photo and digitally altered adult photo
The household by no means gave up trying to find Melissa, even lately flying to Charleston, NC, after an nameless tip claimed to have noticed her.
Nationwide Heart for Lacking & Exploited Kids

Seeing her child photographs and sharing a specific birthmark was the ultimate affirmation the household wanted to know that that they had discovered each other.

Apantenco has since realized that her child lady was being raised fewer than 20 minutes away and lived in Fort Value most of her life.

Melissa, who was married and going by the title Melanie Walden, had no concept she was kidnapped however “didn’t really feel cherished as a baby,” saying she grew up in an “abusive” family.

“I ran away at 15 years previous. I went to the streets. I did what I needed to do to get by … I labored the streets,” she shared.

Melissa mentioned she was initially uncertain in regards to the wild story she was given however was persuaded to take a DNA take a look at by her now-brother, Jeff. “He mentioned, ‘Wouldn’t you wish to be 100% certain?’ He mentioned, ‘I’ll pay for the DNA take a look at,’ and I advised him, ‘I’ll take the take a look at however I actually didn’t suppose I used to be that lady,'” she mentioned.

Melissa Highsmith and her mother Alta Apantenco
Melissa, whose title was modified to Melanie, had no concept she was kidnapped and reportedly grew up in an abusive family lower than 20 minutes from her actual household.
WFAA

However she was particularly swayed by photograph proof. “As soon as I noticed the newborn image, and I put my child image in opposition to it — it’s like my twin,” she mentioned.

Melissa confronted the one that raised her and had her questions answered.

“I requested her, ‘Is there something it's essential to inform me?’ and it was confirmed that she knew that I used to be child Melissa, in order that simply made it actual,” she mentioned.

No different details about her kidnapper has been launched.

Melissa advised WFAA that she plans to legally change her title again to Melissa and re-marry her husband in order that her father can stroll her down the aisle along with her complete household in attendance.

“It’s a Christmas miracle,” Melissa advised WFAA.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post